New Samoyed Owner Training

Discussion in 'Samoyed' started by KimBGallant, Mar 7, 2017.

1. KimBGallant

KimBGallant New Member

Name:
    Kim Boyd

New Samoyed Owner

Hello! We have recently expanded our family with a beautiful 1 year old male samoyed. We have 3 daughters, ages 8, 6 and 3.

Our pup sometimes plays too hard, and jumps on us, knocking my 6 or 3 year old over. He doesn't stop once they are down, he just keeps jumping on them and nipping at them. I know he is only playing but I need him to stop when I tell him to and he doesn't. It is winter here, so we are all wearing lots of layers, but I am worried when spring/summer weather hits and we won't have so many layers to protect us from his teeth.

No matter how much I yell it doesn't seem to work. I know I need to find another way.

Can you train a 1 year old Samoyed, or will I need to bring in a trainer?

We have been working on him for a few days now, teaching him to sit, shake a paw and stay. It seems to be working, so I am hoping we can figure out how to get him to stop being so agressive.

Thanks for your help.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Pork1epe1 and Janet like this.
    Yelling only increases the stimulus , as will I guess your children screaming (high pitched noise) when he is jumping and mouthing them,

You need to change your approach, to calm and quiet , puppies bite its how they learn the amount of pressure they can use, at 1 yr old he is also coming into his teenage phase, (Keven ) so all those nice things he was doing could well fly out the window as he is flexing his muscles.

Everyone needs to be on the same page here, even the children (hard I know ) that all play has to be calm play, as soon as he starts to get over excited stop the game, put him in a quiet place, this is a good idea if he has his own space to retreat to away from noisy children and they over excited play they can get into .

It might be an idea to put a little house lone on him, so that when he gets OTT you can simply pick it up and remove him from the situation, into his bed /cage or wherever he goes with a nice treat, and make sure your children know that when he is in "quiet" time to leave him alone.

You pup is NOT beign aggressive he just has not learnt his boundaries yet, and I would think with 3 young children, you have a active busy noisy home, so its going to be hard for him to not want to be part of that, your children need to learn that when he bites to stand still give you time to remove him, if the play /stimulus is taken away the game gets boring, and no fun in that.

But imagine it like this, the kids are playing (as they do ) pup wants in, this is fun everyone is shouting .running and having a great time, he just wants to join in, the problem is, he will use his teeth to play, he does not know he should`nt its how pups/dogs play, if the shouting, running and so on stops, the game is not so fun, so he will not get over stimulated.

Teaching pups not to use their teeth is a long process, add a young family to this and its harder, yelling at him, gets the attention he is seeking, it does not matter if you see it as a way to stop him , he sees it as a means to and end, attention and play.

Set down some new rules and boundaries , don`t yell or discipline him, just make it boring, and give him his "special " treat to bring him down to a calmer level.