New to the group Introductions

Discussion in 'Your Introductions' started by Robinson, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Robinson

Robinson New Member

Name:
    Bryan

New to the group

Hey everyone, names Bryan here. Got my first gsp 3 days ago. He is a 7 week old little boy. Liver color. Glad to be part of the group. I’m sure all of you are going to be such great help. This boy is very smart, already doing little points. Food motivated pretty good for a 7 week old. Crate training is a little slow so if any of you have any pointers I’d love them lol. The other question I had which made me want to join the forum for a good knowledgeable group of people was, his eyes. I’ll post a pic but he’s got a lot of extra skin and around the eyes. His sisters didn’t have that extra skin. He is pure gsp and is papered his parents didn’t have eyes like this and so I’m just kinda concerned. I don’t know if it’s something he will grow into. I think he’s cute and doesn’t make me love him less but just hope it won’t be a worry in the future. The vet doesn’t know so yea. Anyway thanks everyone.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Bryan - welcome to Breedia to you and your new pup! :039:

I cannot advise you about his eyes as I do not know anything about the breed, but hopefully someone will be along who knows more than I and can give you advice. Possibly not until tomorrow though as it is rather late now.

Regarding crate training, I would put an un-washed shirt or teeshirt of yours in his crate for him to cuddle up to as he will associate it with you, plus a soft toy if he has already got one. My little one had the shirt I wore when I brought her home, and a couple of toys from my previous dog as I had not yet bought any for her.

I do not believe in feeding a dog in its crate although some people do. Tikva only goes in her crate at night and she has one very small biscuit when she goes into it [the only biscuit she gets!] and once that is eaten she curls up to sleep.

More photographs please when you have some! :)
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi Bryan, welcome to Breedia.
    It is going to take longer than 3 days to crate train your puppy. He has had some massive changes, and will still be missing his Mum and siblings. Here in the UK you are not allowed to sell a puppy under 8 weeks of age. Make his crate cosy and as much like a den as you can, by covering all but one side with a blanket. Allow him get used to the crate by putting him in it for short periods at first - perhaps to have a chew, or when he is sleepy - all pleasant associations. I do feed baby puppies in their crate at first for this reason. I usually leave the crate door open and let the puppy use it to rest during the daytime.
    His eyelids are loose. This condition is called ectropian and you may find that his eyes get a little inflamed in dusty or windy conditions. Sometimes the lids do tighten as the puppy grows, but I would mention this to your vet when you go for vaccinations.
  5. Robinson

Robinson New Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Hey carol thanks for the post. Yea I looked that up it does kinda look like that the only thing is his eyes only do that when he’s like looking down and sitting idk but when he’s playing or looking up it’s looks completely normal. He’s supposed to be my hunting dog. Is this something you think will affect that? Other then that he looks like this which is why I’m hoping they tighten up as he grows. Like I said he’s about 7 1/2 weeks old with lots of loose skin. Just hoping this isn’t gonna be something that affects his sight. Thanks again
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It is not likely to affect his vision. All being well it will tighten up as he grows - adult GSP's don't have the same amount of loose skin on their heads that, for example, Springer Spaniels do.
    Your vet will be able to see the actual puppy, not just a photo.
    I'm sure you will have a great time training him. Enjoy your puppy.