NI owners-do you know what dead tail is? Questions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by huskadie, Jun 1, 2006.

1. huskadie

huskadie New Member

NI owners-do you know what dead tail is?

just seen an ad for an NI stud dog and it said he has a 'dead tail' which he will pass on to his pups.Ive never heard of this before,could someone tell me what a dead tail is please?:?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. DobieGirl

DobieGirl New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    It's fairly common in gundogs, though I haven't heard of it in any other breed, so this is a new one.

It's called many names, mostly 'frozen' or 'limber' tail. Usually comes on after a cold swim, but can occur when another dog treads on the tail or something similar, so we reckon it is along the lines of a trapped nerve; maybe the tail equivalent of a whiplash injury.

No treatment is necessary as the condition usually goes right all by itself in about 3 days, but occasionally it can take longer. I know some vets have given steroid injections.

Once the dog has had the condition, it does seem to be more prone to recur, which is bad luck if you're showing, and bad luck for the dog, as it can be quite painful.
  4. DobieGirl

DobieGirl New Member

Name:
    Natalie
  5. huskadie

huskadie New Member

thanx natalie,thought it was something exclusive to NI's as the way the ad was worded it sounded like it was a desired thing for an NI to have?? mmmm,strange:?
  6. zero

zero New Member

never heard of dead tail...and definitely not something that is 'desired' :lol:
  7. PurpleJackdaw

PurpleJackdaw New Member

Name:
    Bev
    I've never heard of a dead tail either :?: :smt017
  8. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    neither have I
  9. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    I have never heard of this eather, although from reading Dobiegirl's link it sounds like a bad thing to me not a good one (especially as it mentions it can be painful), in which case why is this dog up for stud.
  10. huskadie

huskadie New Member

ive just looked back at the ad to check that i'd read it right-and yes i have.It says he has a dead tail which his pups have too....
  11. huskadie

huskadie New Member

well thats what i was thinking but apparently he's the best northern inuit wolf dog around and is only available to selected bitches!! sounds like(another)brainless moron to me:evil:
  12. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Perhaps the word "good" is missing between dead and tail???? :lol:

To the best of my knowledge I don't think dead (or "water tail" as I know it) is hereditary, it's generally caused through working dogs spending too much time in cold water.

It's a mystery! :?
  13. zero

zero New Member

good thinking batman :D
  14. zero

zero New Member

Is it on the internet?...(the ad)
  15. PurpleJackdaw

PurpleJackdaw New Member

Name:
    Bev
    I just had a quick look at online adverts and I think I've found the one your on about ;-)

I'll send you a pm with it myschievous :)
  16. zero

zero New Member

Thanks PJ :D
  17. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate

Having seen the advert for myself now I would agree thats possible. I wouldn't say he was one of the best examples though.
  18. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I think I would be very cautious getting a dog from anyone whos chooses the phrase "dead good" in the advertisment! :shock: :lol:
  19. ShaynLola

ShaynLola New Member

Name:
    Jules
    I have to admit I know little about NIs so this might seem like a stupid question....

If it is meant to say 'dead good tail' (which seems a bizarre phrase anyway) how wonderful would a tail have to be to rate a mention in an ad anyway?? Is there something particularly desirable about a certain type of tail or tail carriage in the breed.
  20. huskadie

huskadie New Member

do you really think it was meant to say dead good tail?! id definitely be queuing to use his stud then with a 'dead good tail'.Is that term used in the ni breed standard?.LOL:lol:
  21. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Breed Standard says tails should be carried down when standing, may be lifted when excited. Curly tails are considered a fault.

Dead good tail would also put me off, I'm assuming he would mean it has a nice straight (down) tail (ie. not curly), he also uses words such as awsome!!

Heres what the add says: "Wolf is for hire to selected bitches, He is the best wolf dog around standing 28 inches tall and has awsome looks, you will not find a better wolf dog throwing large chunky cubs with litters of 12 not uncommon."

So make of it what you will, I wouldn't say he looked awsome eather, just average.