Obedience Classes - what to expect? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Pork1epe1, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Azz likes this.

Obedience Classes - what to expect?

Tomorrow, Chloe, Georgina and I are off to obedience classes and I'm TERRIFIED!:100: I've been trying to analyse why I feel this way and I've come to the conclusion its because our last visit (to a different school) was a complete disaster and I'm afraid the same thing's going to happen again.

Last November when Georgie was 6 months old I enrolled us with a training school that had been recommended by a friend. From the moment we arrived everything went pear shaped! Behind the field the trainer used, was a commercial property guarded by 3 GSD's who rushed the fence barking, and jumping up against it which set Chloe off barking, and I had to ply her with loads of treats to calm her down. We then met the trainer, who seeing the girls harnesses told me she only trained dogs wearing choke collars .... AND .... treats were strictly forbidden! To make it worse, a large lady walked over with an enormous GSD which she allowed to loom over my two. Georgie was so overwhelmed she cowered in fright and Chloe just stood there paralysed. The woman wanted to know what Georgie's breed was. The trainer said that she was a Shar-Pei, an AGGRESSIVE breed???? I was so furious I walked out!

This time I done a lot more research on the school and watched videos of their training classes. I've made absolutely sure that they train with treats and dogs are allowed to wear a harness. I've also arranged for the girls to start off with one on one training with a trainer who speaks both English and Hungarian before they're introduced to other dogs and group classes.

As this is the first time I've ever taken a dog for training I'm not sure what to expect and how typical the first one we went to is. It would be interesting to hear other peoples experiences .... both good and bad!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Azz and Pork1epe1 like this.
    I can't really tell you what to expect - I was involved in Obedience Training many moons ago and went to several Dog Training Clubs (in Scout Huts and Church Halls etc) but this was in the days of choke chains.

Then, a few years ago, I had Bill, the border collie who showed me that I wasn't the expert I thought I was. So, I booked one to one training with someone who was a very successful Working Trials trainer. She took me to her training field, and said 'The beauty of this field is that it is completely dog-proof.' Bill's timing was impeccable - as she said the words 'dog-proof' he sailed over the fence. She couldn't get anywhere with him either!
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    6JRT's and Azz like this.
    I always think its best for anyone to go by themselves without their dog a couple of times that way you can watch what methods they use, and if it would suit you and your dog also take note if the trainer is tuned into different breeds, as what works for one breed or dog doesn’t necessarily work for another.

Does the dogs and owners seem happy, look if there are any aggressive dogs,How many dogs in the class, big classes means the trainer cant focus on all the dogs which need help. The trainer should be showing everyone how to manage their dogs so you can go home and practice.

It can be rather daunting for some dogs going into strange hall, especially with slippery floors lots of strange people and dogs, I used to not do any training with mine first time I took them and just let them sit and get used to everything
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    As the rescue home where I am a puppy trainer, we have open days where anyone can come for Obedience Classes, first thing I do is ask who is using check chains, I then remove the check chain & replace it with either a body harness, collar or head halti & we will go into the outdoor under clover play area I will get the owners to walk around for 15 mins so I can see how the dogs walk then, I will induce each dog to each other dogs, any barking dogs I will take control of, & within 5 mins the dog stops barking & I hand the dog back to its owner, I don't use treats for basic training I will use rolled up T-Towels (I only use treats which are use are sausage or cheese for recall) playing with the T-Towel why teaching your dog how to walk, sit, down, wait is making obedience classes fun for your dogs as well as owners.
  6. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    How did it go Barbara?
  7. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Azz and 6JRT's like this.
    Sorry I haven't updated sooner but for some reason life has suddenly become rather hectic!

We've been to training three times now. The first session we arrived 20 minutes late because although I could see where the playing field was, I couldn't find how to get to it and was just about to give up when I noticed a single track leading to some gates and Bingo I'd found it!

As we were late, Kinga the trainer spent the time getting to know the girls and asking lots of questions about them, particularly the problems I'm having with Georgina. I should explain that Georgie has entropion and although there's nothing wrong with her eyesight, the wrinkles on her forehead press on her eyelids making it hard for her to open her eyes. In the house and garden she copes well but in an unknown environment she becomes so stressed she either shuts down or panics and as I'm not sure how to best to handle her so it was good for me to be able to discuss it with someone whom I felt understood. Kinga suggested that instead of Georgie wearing a harness she might feel more secure wearing a collar, something I hadn't thought of.

Because it was a short session I decided to take the girls back the following day and this time we arrived early enough to watch a lively young Schnauzer being leash trained. The moment she spotted the dog Chloe started barking and as soon as I opened the door she leapt out (which knows she's not allowed to do) and wanted to go and play with it. I'd put a collar on Georgie before we left home but as soon as she got our of the car she slipped it and went running off, but to give her credit she came back when called. Kinga then used one of her own dog's collars which scared Georgie so much that she shot back into the car and refused to come out for several minutes. After they'd both calmed down Kinga started them with the basic training of sit, stand and lie which they both know how to do. Chloe however in typical Tibbie fashion decided after behaving perfectly, the whole business was a waste of her valuable time, so I took her off for a walk around the playing field, leaving Georgie with Kinga. After doing some leash training with both of them it was time to leave.

Last Sunday we had a really good day. Georgie who was wearing a new collar I'd bought during the week, jumped out of the car without any hesitation and greeted Kinga like a long lost cousin and Chloe didn't bark nearly as much as the time before. After going through some of the things we'd done the week before we started on "walking to heel". I was quite surprised the difference changing from a harness to a collar has made to Georgie .It seems to have given her a lot more confidence.

I'm now feeling much happier especially as Kinga was very pleased with Georgie and how quickly and easily she learns ..... but that's one of the beauties of Shar-Pei! As for Chloe .... despair ..... despair! Kinga says I've got to be firmer with her and not allow her to get away with so much nonsense ...... Ah well!