Obedience Registration ID this breed/mix

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Someone, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Someone

Someone New Member

Name:
    E
    6JRT's likes this.

Obedience Registration

Hi,

I would like to get opinions on what breed my dog is. I'm just about to register him for obedience competitions and part of that is putting his breed (or cross) on the form.
    A little about Lewis: we got him about 15 months ago when he was 3 1/2 years old (so he's about 4 1/2 now). We were looking to get a small adult dog, Lewis was destined to be a companion for my mum. However, due to his specific personality, behavioural issues, and a series of events that culminated in him deciding he is my dog (not my mums) he has become my second "sports dog". So now he is nearly ready to start trying some competitions. We do agility, obedience and rally-o (he will do them when he is ready).

When we got him we were told he is a Pomeranian. However, he is orange/white parti coloured which I have been told is extremely unlikely colouring for a Pom here. He is also way too big for a Pom (he weighs 6.1kgs) and his coat, face and body arn't really right either.
    It has been suggested that the breeder just bred a larger German Spitz with a Pom to get him. Others have suggested he is a Pom X Papillon (for the colour, but his ears are definitely not Papillon). I've had a number of people (jokingly) say he looks like a "miniature Border Collie", haha.

So I'm looking for suggestions/opinions of what I should register him as (at the moment I think I'll just put "German Spitz" because I feel like "Pomeranian" is miss leading).

Stats:
    Weight: 6.1kgs
    Height: Not officially measured yet, but I think about 32cm at the withers.
    Colour: Orange Parti

Pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    6JRT's likes this.
    Hello :) I wouldn't think it matters too much for the obedience registration if you make a generalisation . Many people with rescue dogs do obedience work and have no knowledge of their dogs origins.
    Lewis could be a number of things so I would say 'Spitz type'.
    Whatever he is Lewis is lovely and I hope yu do well with him in obedience work :) .
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    6JRT's likes this.
    Yes, I would agree 'Spitz type' is probably the best way to describe him.

I believe Poms can vary in size quite a bit.

Though, I do think there could be a bit of Papillon in there somewhere! And they are super little dogs for obedience and agility.

He really looks a little smasher, and I think you'll have lots of fun with him!
  5. Bonni

Bonni Member

Name:
    Bonni
    6JRT's likes this.
    Another vote for Papillon cross or spitz type here. Whatever Lewis is he is beautiful :007:
  6. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Lewis is so beautiful - I am edging towards a Sheltie X Pomeranian

Picture is of Mu Hsu he is Half-Sheltie, Half-Pomeranian
    IMG_00641-600x800.jpg
  8. Someone

Someone New Member

Name:
    E
    6JRT's, Azz and GsdSlave like this.
    Thanks for all the replies and compliments about Lewis :D

Janet: To be honest, I haven't actually met that many Poms :oops:, I always imagined them as the typical little balls of fluff with funny little faces (tiny muzzle), red colour, standing on their hind legs, barking (Lewis does stand on his back feet and bark a lot though). Lewis' face is so much more fox-like, he looks a bit more like old pictures of Poms (basically German Spitz).

6JRT's: Your Sheltie x Pom does look a bit like Lewis but I'm not convinced that Lewis has Sheltie in him. He does not show any herding behaviour at all, doesn't really respond to things that move (no fetch, doesn't chase toys, I'm having a hard time teaching him to retrieve) and I think his coat is wrong for a Sheltie. His fur is kind of silky and magic so if it gets dirty the dirt just falls off once he's dry (doesn't need a bath) he looks like he has always just been groomed, his white sparkles when he's brushed. The few Shelties that I have seen have had thicker fur that isn't so silky, sort of rougher so leaves and things stick to them. I'm not sure how Shelties work, but Lewis has very very upright posture which isn't what I would expect from a herder. His tail is always curled over his back unless he is very concerned/scared (eg. hears fireworks)
    How would you describe your dogs coat? and does he have the feathering on his legs like Lewis does? (I can't tell in the photo).

Bonni: The main reason that people have suggested Papillon is his colour and coat. His coat isn't properly Pom, he does have a double coat but it isn't as thick as a Poms (although is has gotten thicker since we got him due to regular grooming and better food) and he doesn't really have much undercoat across his shoulders, it's mainly on his back legs and chest.

Azz: Here's another photo for you (one of my favourites):
    [​IMG]

and a gif (hopefully it works).
    [​IMG]
  9. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz likes this.
    Lewis might be a Pomeranian X Papillion or a Chihuahua X Pomeranian/Papillion

Picture is of Cody Pomeranian x Papillion
    images.jpg

Picture of Melody Chihuahua X Pomeranian X Papillion
    Chihuahua_Melody_IMG_8102.jpg
  10. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    not sure atall, spitz are a type im only just discovering but i wanted to say he is beautifull