Off topic post from Akita thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Off topic post from Akita thread

With my hands, I would drop them!

My little Alcatel can, so I believe, take pictures but ??? knows how. It also sends SMS messages which I delete because I cannot read or understand them. But it does me fine for telephoning out and answering incomings, not that I get many. It is basically for emergencies only.

Back on the subject of Akitas, which seem to be the sweeties of the month. Or three.

We have had this on Breedia with Malinois - all of a sudden everyone has or wants a Belgian Mal.

And Alaskan Malamutes.

Now it is Akitas.

And people wonder why I ask why?

Please do not misunderstand me. I love reading about all the different breeds and seeing pictures of them all, even though I used to breed Griffons and I have not seen any mentioned on Breedia. Griffon Bruxellois [rough] and Petit Brabançon [smooth].
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    I recently abandoned my smartphone for a cheap (£10 cheap) little Nokia that is brilliant for what I want it for. The smartphone is fine, but I just can't hear it, the ringing is OK, but when you can't hear people talk then it just ain't much use as a phone.

The Nokia is loud so I can hear it and is easy to use. Perfect for me :)
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    i love my little pink Nokia slider, which is at least ten years old. It does have a camera, but the pictures would have to be spectacular before I could ever be bothered downloading them. I find the converter and the alarm useful, and do use the phone occasionally - especially when arranging places to meet up, (though HE often doesn't know his phone is ringing!). Generally I find texting friends more convenient as it doesn't often need an instant response.
    I have an Asda SIM card installed - calls are 8p per min, and texts are 5p. I really don't think I would do very much more with a smartphone, and don't fancy paying a lot of money to find that I am correct, and I'm sure it would take longer to learn to use than the amount of time I would spend using it.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    I'm with 02 classic
    • Calls are 3p a minute.
    • Texts are 2p.
    • Data is 1p a MB.
    • Calls to customer service are free of charge
    • Calls to Voicemail are 3p a call.
    The little phone was £10 and I had to put £15 credit on it (pay as you go) which will probably last me for 2-3 years :). I'm not into mobiles, but need one for emergencies particularly as I need to be constantly available in case my lad has a fit and they need to get hold of me
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not remember what my little Alcatel cost - it was on a 36 monthly payment which was very little, and I have kept with Pelephone since my first mobile [which was bought for me and all bills paid]. I do not do texts - I do not even read SMS messages if any come in, just delete them, and do not use the phone for anything but as a phone. And rarely at that.

I pay ~£2/month for unlimited calls, including to voicemail. I actually like this little thing - I would like it even better had Pelephone got me a new battery, as I have to put this on charge far too often. But it charges fully in about an hour so it could be worse.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Wow Chris. If my battery fails I'll be looking at O2 for a replacement!
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    My hubby was with Tesco, but when he found the 02 tariff he found it easy to change over. Just rang tesco for a code to unlock the phone then took the phone into the 02 shop and they did the rest. He even kept the same number so all was good
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think Tesco use the O2 network for their own phone network, and charge 25ppm for their call rates. (I have a Tesco phone specifically for making charity donations. My Asda phone won't let me donate to 70*** numbers). Tesco are on a nice earner if they only pay the 2p rate to O2!
  10. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    What a perfect use for this otherwise useless thread!!!

I have a smartphone and I love it!! Living off grid with no wires of any kind running here it has made life better for me. I don’t have a computer or tablet, just the phone. I do pay a lot more than what you all pay but it’s worth it to me for the convenience.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    There are times Marc, when going off topic is well worth it! :)
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    @CaroleC - I think we have to thank Azz for splitting up the threads as it was done very early my time and Azz does get up early IIRC.

I do not regret anything I said on the now locked thread.

But now we are off topic but we still have our dogs so everything really goes back to how our dogs make us feel. And if that is by having a mobile phone, I can press whatever it is to get straight through to Ram, my vet.
  13. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    My hubby was it stitches the other day. The little Nokia was dead. I kept pressing the button to turn it on, but nothing happened.

Took it back to O2. The guy pressed a button (a different button) and the 'ickle 'phone worked. Apparently, the button I kept pressing is for when the phone is on standby. I must have let the battery get too low and the thing switched itself fully off. Now I didn't know it turned off altogether. I thought standby was as much as it did.

Red face for me and both hubby and shop guy killing themselves with laughing, but now I know a little bit more about the 'phone :).

Never mind. I brightened up a couple of guy's day

Did I ever mention that I'm a bit of a technophobe?
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Yes, me too. I'm beginning to feel that the world is advancing too fast for me.

These little mobile phones are in addition to the landline, which we need to access broadband. My current BT bills are around £30 per month - for the connection, basic broadband, and free evening and weekend calls. Our chargeable calls normally only amount to around £3 - £4, as with the call set-up fee and the cost per minute, it is actually cheaper to use a mobile to make a call, but it is fairer to friends to be able to receive their calls on a landline. I can also hear conversation much better on a landline.
    I am fed up of paying 12 or 18 months upfront and being bound by a contract, but BT being able to raise their charges and add the excess to my monthly bill. I tried to move last year, but they emailed to say that they would fine me £220 if I went ahead. Their customer relations are hopeless - unless you like voice recognition and giving one word answers. I had to wait over half an hour to be connected to a human last weekend. I'm trying to summon the courage to try again in March '19. If anyone has any recommendations I would be glad to hear them. Apologies for the rant.
  15. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Unfortunately we are with BT . Had no end of trouble with them.
    Have you completed the minimum contract period for your BT Service, if not, then BT will charge for the home hub, as it’s only free if you complete your contract.

Plus you have to give 30 days notice of cancellation to avoid any extra charges, If you cancel within this time you'll have to pay an early termination charge, what you're charged depends on how long is left to run on your contract.

We found best way to contact them was through ‘live chat .
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    The current broadband contract runs until March '19. I have been told that I should contact then in the February. I have now let my landline contract run out and am on a standard monthly charge until then. This is how they get to hold onto you, - two contracts that run for 12 and 18 months.
    I had arranged to move to Plusnet last year. I was so embarrassed to have to back out after all the discussion that had gone on, but they were really nice about it, and refunded my 12 month subscription the same day. I think that perhaps I owe them a chance, and they do have the best rating for customer service. My only doubt is that that I believe Plusnet to be a BT subsidiary company.
  17. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Yes it is part of BT but operates as a separate business.

Our speed was so bad that oh wanted fiber, we had to have BT as they had to put it in, we had no end of trouble I was tearing my hair out, now we are stuck with them as no other provider does fiber in our area.
  18. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    they offered me same price for fibre and a new hub if I renewed my contract. What you haven't had before you don't miss. I have a note that last year Plusnet were offering a good price for 6gig a month. I am on unlimited with BT, so I have no idea how much that will allow me to do. Isn't life complicated? To think I used to manage with dial up access!
  19. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    To think we all did Carole.

Oh the wait until after six when it was cheaper :).

Personally, I'd be wary of limited usage. We go for unlimited because it's just too easy to to go through the allowance