Oh, what have I done... General Chat

Discussion in 'Chihuahua' started by Janet, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Azz and 6JRT's like this.

Oh, what have I done...

I've kept in touch with Pepe's breeder, and contacted her to let her know that Witty had died. She mentioned that one of her Chihuahuas had a litter a few weeks ago, and would I like to go and see the babies. Well, you can guess what happened next.

There were three girls and two boys. I have chosen one of the boys - sort of sable coloured with a black mask. The other male was a very striking white one - she proudly told me that he was going to look just like his father. As the sire was possibly the ugliest dog I have ever seen, I chose the sable!

Both parents are very sturdy dogs and very friendly. The pups will be ready in about three weeks, when they're ten weeks old. If any of her pups are very small, she keeps them till they are twelve weeks, but these are a right bunch of bruisers.

Since being to see them, I have been trawling through Pets4Homes looking at Chihuahua puppies and have been concerned to see how many are not only described as teacup, but are photographed sitting in a teacup. I think my breeder does try to make sure hers go to people who are going to treat them as dogs. Also, she has taken the precaution of giving the phone number and postcode of a friend who lives about twenty miles away as she is fairly isolated and is worried about them being stolen. She has put off one person who enquired about the puppies - she was convinced this person was planning to resell it at twice the price. Quite frightening to think about these tiny little pups falling into the wrong hands.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz and Janet like this.
    Chihuahua's take a lot of looking after, people forget they are dogs & treat them as babies, we see a lot of Chihuahua's at the rescue home before they have bitten the owner's partner or their children.

I went to look at litter of GSD puppies the breeder said he only had 3 boys left, but I couldn't make my mind up which one to have so I ended up with all 3 :eek: :confused:
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    6JRT's likes this.
    Oh my goodness! I wouldn't have liked your food bill!

Sad to hear about so many Chihuahuas ending up in rescue. There are far too many of them being bred - people see it as easy money I suppose.
  5. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Janet likes this.
    I find nothing mends a broken heart quite like the antics of a puppy, hope it all goes well x
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    swimdog likes this.
    Yes BYB's always advertise them as Teacup dogs, which attracts the dim bimbo's wanting a fashion statement, plus they are selling around here for as little as £250 to £500 each depending on colour smooth/long coat.

These little dogs just don't realise just how small they are & will take on any dog regardless of their size, I hate seeing people carrying them around in handbags they got legs & need to walk or they will get obese.

I at to try to retrain a Chihuahua once at the rescue home, no one could get near him because his owner let him have his own way all the time, his owner had brought him in because he had bitten her, I renamed him Mr Attitude his real name was Pickles, he went to live with an ex Chihuahua breeder who managed to re-educate him & taught him to be a dog not "baby" I saw him couple months ago & was please to see he had lost the extra weight he had put on after being carried everywhere by his previous owner.
  7. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Thanks Trouble. The timing is OK I think - I wouldn't have wanted to bring one home straightaway because I needed more time to come to terms with losing Witty and it would have been a shame to have a new puppy and not properly enjoy it. But these won't be ready for about three weeks - time for me to try and chihuahua-proof the house! Our front gate, for example, has a gap at the bottom which no average puppy could get through but easy for a chi puppy!
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Janet likes this.
    A new puppy will help to fill that Witty-shaped hole in your heart. :) xx
  9. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Those seem very cheap! The average around here seems to be about £850, though I have seen them as much as £2500. Generally, the smaller they are the more expensive they are! Mine (he is going to be called Chico by the way) is comparatively cheap - he's £500, the bitches are £600 - probably because they are not as small as most people seem to want.

Even though he's big by chihuahua standards, apparently he might have to start off in a ferret harness!
  10. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I hope so. And one of the reasons I decided to get a chihuahua is for the absolutely ridiculous reason that Witty would have loved it! He adored tiny dogs.
  11. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Janet likes this.
    Congratulations! I look forward to puppy pics! :D
  12. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Janet likes this.
    Ah!!!!!!! Puppy breath, :049: look forward to seeing lots of pics x
    Its sad that people believe there is such a breed as teacup, when its just unscrupulous breeders cashing in.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Janet likes this.
    I reckon the whole idea was probably put in your head by Witty. :)
  14. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Lol I remember having to Pug proof the garden, no easy task crawling around on my hands and knees in the bushes. I have quite a few spiky plants too so had to put mesh barriers around them to protect the Pugs eyes, ripped my arms and t-shirt to bits in the process. I can only imagine how small a gap a chihuahua could fit through.
  15. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Trouble likes this.
    Oh! I hadn't thought of spiky plants. Another thing to put on the 'to do' list!

I meant to say, when I went to view the puppies there was a very pushy black Pug there too!
    Utterly determined not to be overlooked. I shall have to make sure I keep well away if she ever breeds from her
  16. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    You know medium/large puppies lot easier to puppy proof garden then trying puppy proof garden for small dogs
  17. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    6JRT's likes this.
    Ooooo more puppies :lol: :049:

Congrats! I can't wait to see the photos :D

PS @6JRT's, is that recently or you talking about the past?
  18. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Very true. There was no way a standard poodle puppy like Pepe could squeeze through anywhere, but next door's cat has various escape routes from the dogs, so I'm going to have to make sure Chico can't follow. And I think I'll have to put him on the lead when I let him out after dark for a bedtime wee!
  19. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Pugs are quite pushy and determined, my lot elevate themselves whenever possible by standing on the arm of the sofa, chairs or just walking on their hind legs. Phoenix the black one has been known to jump on top of crates, or up on a chair then up onto the table. I think black Pugs are a bit crazier than fawns tbh. Her breeder did say " I hope you know what you're letting yourself in for"
  20. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    That sounds just like the one I saw. She certainly made her presence felt!
  21. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz likes this.
    Both when I had my GSD's, Rottweiler's & Dobermans puppies/young dogs it was more a height issue rather then holes in fence, so just nailed some trellis on top of fence.
    Then I had K9 no trouble what's so ever as he always kept eye on me, but Skye at to escape proof me fence straight away, as first day we lost her she managed to squeeze through smallest gap ever so chicken wire went all round bottom of fence, then along came the hooligans & Iit was brand new fencing all round garden & concrete under each fencing panel, I forgotten JRT's love to dig, so bye bye lawn hello paving slabs.