Old age and everything goes Pete Tong General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, May 17, 2019.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Pork1epe1 likes this.

Old age and everything goes Pete Tong

After years of the same prescription, I now need new spectacles. I have bifocals and the reading section is fine, but distance? It has been the same prescription for a very long time and now it has to be changed. My computer lenses also need to be changed.

Why does everything go Pete Tong as you get older? Sight, hearing, memory, brain fog. Why can we not be as we feel we are? I do not feel any older than I was years ago but old age has been creeping up on me without me knowing it.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I love your ‘ Pete Tong ‘ comment, I wonder if it’s lost on certain people ?
    How many times have I heard myself saying “ time flies “ looking back on old photos makes you realise just how quickly
    Your not on your own with that one Juli xx
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I know I am just getting old but I can not accept it. OK so I need new spectacles and it is my fault that I want my frames that I want the frames that I have re-glazed. I like different different styles and colours. But why my computer lenses have also decided not to be good?

And I have no idea where my hearing aid has gone. Not that I care. But my sight? It has just gone Pete Tong, literally within days.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    And now Pereg's freezer has packed up. And it was full.

Life is just giving up on me.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Managed to get everything [by then semi-defrosted] out of Pereg's freezer and shoved it into ThreeBees. Somehow the plug on Pereg's freezer had gotten loose :102: but it is OK now and all is back where it should be.

I would hate to count the number of things that have gone Pete Tong lately but it seems to be something every day!
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Glad you have got it sorted. Always a worry when freezers go wrong, nobody ever has any spare space.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I actually had just enough space in ThreeBees - the problem was that by the time I realised, nearly everything in Pereg's freezer was semi-defrosted. So it went in ThreeBees, got frozen again - I do not think re-freezing it would harm Tikki.

The thing is that both ThreeBees and my large f/f, which also had some space, have a service contract [I probably could have replaced both many times for what it costs, but still...] but I do not have one for Pereg's freezer. And it was Friday evening and Shabbat had come in, so...

If Pereg's freezer had packed up permanently I would have had to wait until tomorrow, telephoned Nir [who got this one for me] and asked him to please get another one for me. It did not cost that much - just a four-drawer 140 litres "under the shelf" freezer. Plenty big enough but I had just had a re-stock of poultry for both Tikki and myself. Had packed and frozen it all in ThreeBees [who is ginormous] so Pereg's freezer was chocka and ThreeBees had some space in the fast frozen section available.

The trouble is that if there is any spare space, I want to fill it!
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Third and fourth hath struck. Why can I not go on strike?

Third - mailman brought in a carton dripping with an oil vinigairette - a well packed bottle and the first time either a glass bottle or jar had ever broken - dumped it on my lap and said he had no idea how it happened. Having checked through the delivery details, it was perfect when delivered to him on the Moshav, so it must have happened in his place. No way could it have happened before then.

Everything was ruined, including what I was wearing, and I cannot even claim for the damage. Oh well, sh*t happens and nothing I can do, just accept it as one of those things.

Fourth? The freezer section of my big f/f somehow got blocked late yesterday. It is an air-flow system and will take five minutes to sort. This is the third time in ??? many years it has happened and a techie will be here tomorrow. Thank crunchie for my service contract.

Anything else and I will stay in bed with the cover over my head. And take Tikki under the cover with me.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Does your f/f have a drain hole in the back wall of the fridge section? I recall that this became blocked on ours a couple of years ago - with mould! OH cleaned it out with wire, or something similar.
    Sorry about the dress, that was a silly thing for him to do.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    No, it is not a frost-free f/f but an air-flow system. Like an air-conditioning units? The cold air from the freezer section goes through into the refrigerator to cool that, even though there are separate dials for each [do not ask me - they work but I do not know how].

What has happened is that the hole, or whatever it is, somehow did not go through from the freezer to the refrigerator to keep that cool. Or something. So a bit of ice built up under the base of the freezer so sort of melted things? All the techie has to do is take the base of the freezer off [after it is empty], put a small bowl of hot water in and within a few minutes all the ice gonzo.

And now? Just when the techie is due in less than 24 hours? Everything is working fine. S C R E A M. But it could do with checking and I think the refrigerator section could do with a new gasket.

The super Apollo f/f is, to me, still new although it must be ~18 years old now? My previous one, 440 litres. lasted ~16 years before the motor had hysterics. They just do not make things like that any more, which is why I am happy to pay for the service contract.

As for ThreeBees - my Big, Beautiful, Blomberg 280 litre upright freezer - his service contract is combined with the Super Apollo f/f. To me he is still new but must be ~10 years old.

Kaftan is OK. Had it soaking in bio wash liquid and in the m/c this morning, with a load of other stuff. All clean and now in the dryer.

Surely nothing else can go Pete Tong now? [Says Juli praying].
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    When will this ever last?

Tikva was asleep in her crate and I was going to bed and I dropped my mobile. Not a smart phone but a good mobile. Four pieces on the floor and I had no idea what went where. And all my numbers are on that mobile.

Please tell me that nothing else can go wrong.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Shhhhhh - put the mobile together. Lovely techie sorted out the Super Apollo [f/f] two seconds flat. Took both freezer and refrigerator doors off and adjusted them [while I was doing my nut thinking oh my ears and whiskers] so everything is now level, which apparently was slightly askew, or summat. Probably from the last earthquake. Or summat.

He even checked Pereg's freezer which is not included in the service contract.

So all is well B"H and once again [same techie] said "they do not make them like this now". So I will keep on with the service contract "until 120".
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    And so on and so forth. My BP machine did a whoopsie the other day and turned heels up. So Amit got me a new one. And of course my original one decided heels down and works fine.

Today my bathroom scales turned heels up. New battery. Still heels up. I need it not for me but for when Ram comes every three months for Tikki's Parkworm shot - he needs to weigh her in order to know how much to draw for the shot.

So gotta wait until Sunday and ask Amit if he can please get new scales for me.

Please, please, please, will someone stop everything packing up on me?