Origins, 60s or 80s? NIDs and Utes General Chat

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by werewolf, May 28, 2010.

1. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private

Origins, 60s or 80s? NIDs and Utes

As there are Ute people on here as well as NID people. A question. When did Eddie actually start 'creating' our dogs, was it the 60s or the 80s? And what is the proof of the year , if there is one? Please refrain from off topic posts, this is a genuine question.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    Good question Nes. It really makes me think that nobody has any idea of the true history or why would there be so many contradicting stories :?
  4. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I think there may be some Ute people on here that may be able to clarify it. Fingers crossed xx
  5. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    I don't know about dates but I do believe they've been around a lot longer than the eighties , it would be great if some one knew x
  6. Moonstone

Moonstone New Member

Name:
    S
    I thought it was the 80's,that Eddie seriously started trying create a wolfy dog tyoe, by importing the dogs from the US, but think she had been breeding for a lot longer than that. Then JK had some of her dogs, and so forth........

That's what I have understood , anyway.
  7. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    the 80's as far as i was aware ;-) :grin:
    defo not as long as the 60's...(shocking if it was and still no type!:shock: )
  8. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eddie As far as I am aware the 80s whenever she imported the dogs from Alaska, I would need to check.

Im sure it was 87 that Jan and JK started their respective breeds

The British Utonagan is easy it started in march 2009 we have all founders so far listed and health tested lols
  9. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Thanks. Glad to hear of your record keeping, it can only be of benefit years down the line xx
    Did you know her personally? if so, is it true she imported dogs that she thought were wolf hybrids later to find they had no wolf content?
  10. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie
    No I didnt, shame really because I would have loved the opportunity to ask her a good few questions..lols

There are many stories and variations about her and her dogs lols.

The NI started with JK and the Ute with Jan Farrington and a few other Ute breeders, so this is where I would say they both started ... Eddie just wanted a dog to resemble the wolf... the rest took it that step forward
  11. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Then were her dogs the 'founders' of our dogs today?
  12. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie
    Well it depends how you perceive it, as far as I have made out my conclusion is this:

Eddie was the breeder of a few of the dogs used as founding stock of the respective breeds. The NI started with JK and she selected her foundation stock, which included a few from Eddies breeding and the same with Jan and the Utonagan, both breeds had other dogs as founders also so I would say the NI was founded by JK and her founder stock and the Ute Jan and hers. :grin:
  13. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Alady?? -

Why did you go for 'British Utanogan' as a name?
  14. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie
    We didnt want to lose the name Utonagan as our backbone and love are such, but we sorely needed to bring in a lot more foundation dogs, for healthy diversity and to enable the breed to start with a healthy and large gene pool. We hope to have at least 25 unrelated lines and also a proviso that one new line be brought in every 5 years after the gene pool is closed.

Also they are a British breed and we wanted them to be seen as such.
  15. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
  16. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Thanks Alady xxxxxx