Our first sled dog race! Dog Sports

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Tuuli, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Tuuli

Tuuli New Member

Name:
    Tuuli

Our first sled dog race!

Last sunday was very exciting for us as it was THE moment: our first ever sled dog race...

We hoped and expected nothing more than to get the dogs & Esko over the finish line in one team! :lol: But apparently we've done something right training the team as we placed 19th of the 34 teams! AND to my great joy our team got sled dog race trial scores "REK2"- i.e. "Good" for our two older dogs, Tiida & Hikka!!! Bruno is too young to get a score but I'm sure he will get one before the end of this racing season. The score is calcuated from the average time of the three fastest teams and REK2 is the second highest score. I'm SO happy!! :grin:

Here's a pic of Esko and Tiida & Hikka (in the lead) & Bruno (wheel):

[​IMG]

Here's a link to another pic, taken from the start:
    http://www.phnet.fi/public/lansi/images/2007/2007_jaminjayna/album/img_9150.html
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Fab photos - how exciting, it sounds great :)
  4. zero

zero New Member

Hey Tuuli :D

wow what can I say...I haven't even finished looking at the pictures just yet but they are amazing!
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Fabulous, well done!
    Dawn.
  6. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    Fab pics! How exciting! I got to see some working sled dogs in Alaska one summer and it was an amazing sight to see! Your dogs look like they are absolutely loving it!
  7. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Wonderfull picture, everyone clearly enjoying it and it;s great to see dogs doing what they were bred for.
    Becky
  8. lizziel

lizziel New Member

Name:
    lizzie
    The picture of the start of your race is amazing and makes you want to get out there and have a go yourself :grin:

Not so sure our Golden Retriever would be very good at it though and we only have liquid mud not snow so could be a problem as well.

It is great to see dogs working :grin:
  9. queenwillow

queenwillow New Member

Name:
    tracey
    fantastic piccys what lovely stunning dogs
  10. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Congratulations Tuuli, just going to look at the piccies now, are you going to put them up on the Ute Site as well? Not everyone is a member on here.
    You look very professional anyway, so you looked like you knew what you were doing, even if you felt that you didn't inside:lol:
  11. Tuuli

Tuuli New Member

Name:
    Tuuli
    LOL, that's my hubby Esko, not me! :grin:

I have another race this sunday and I'll have to do the mushing myself this time :shock:. Esko is in Lapland AGAIN working as a sled dog guide. He will also travel all the way to North Norway to help our friend on the Finnmarkslopet race which starts next week. (http://www.finnmarkslopet.no/)
  12. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    great pics :) looks like the dogs enjoyed it :)
  13. Fudgeley

Fudgeley New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Wow, what an exciting thing to be able to do. the photos are amazing and the dogs look like they are loving it.
  14. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Lovely :) We have a race this weekend too!
  15. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    The picture at the start is amazing thanks for sharing...looks exciting
  16. Tuuli

Tuuli New Member

Name:
    Tuuli
    Thanks guys! :grin:

I finished 6th yesterday (31 teams in total, of which 17 sibe teams)!!! And only 7 sec difference to the 4th... :shock:

So another REK2 sled dog racing trial score for Tiida, Hikka & Hector, I can't believe it!! :grin:

Here's a bad pic of us, that's Hikka & Hector in the lead and Tiida on the wheel.

[​IMG]
  17. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    you are doing really well already Tuuli, congratulations:grin:
  18. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

Those photo's are fantastic Tuuli! I would love to have the chance to take ours on snow :-(
  19. gaznweebeasties

gaznweebeasties New Member

Name:
    gaz
    im itching to get my dogs into racing

i had an accident a few years ago and did a lot of damage to my back and i now have trouble being on my feet for periods of time. it ruined my plans of racing but im hopeful that if i keep working at it i will be able to race them one day

your pics and story are a great motivator
  20. IanTaylor

IanTaylor

Name:
    Ian
    Great stuff... sounds like you done well... and looks great too... might have to give that a go with Jake and Charlie :lol: Think I'd end up pulling them on the sledge :lol: