Overweight Spaniel who does not eat much Questions

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by Dawn Hill, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Dawn Hill

Dawn Hill New Member

Name:
    Dawn

Overweight Spaniel who does not eat much

Hi I have a spaniel who over the last couple of years has put on weight but does not eat a lot at all, definately nowhere near his daily allowance and very rarely has treats.

Lately as well if I run him he develops a bad limp which the vet said is a pulled muscle but seems to get better till I run him again then he can't put it on the ground.

As he had lost a kilo last time he went to the vets they do not seem concerned, has anyone else had this or know of the best food, he is on burgess diet food. Also could his leg be a ligament.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Being overweight certainly will not help his leg - whatever the cause. You do not say whether this is a front leg or a hind, but whether it is ligament damage or a pulled muscle, he shouldn't be running on it until it has had time to heal - this could take a few weeks.
    How old is your Spaniel? A kilo is a significant weight loss, and it does take time to come down. Steady weight loss is better than crash dieting, so it sounds as if you are on the right track with what you are doing.
  4. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    If his leg problem has been going on some time, I'd ask the vet to x-ray.

If his food rations haven't changed and he's losing weight despite restricted exercise, again, it's something for the vet to sort. It may be that he's in pain even when he isn't limping
  5. Dawn Hill

Dawn Hill New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Thanks I'm in the process of changing my vets as the one I am with just keeps giving me different medicine for him and does not want to x-ray till we try the now new medication hopefully the new vet will help
  6. Dawn Hill

Dawn Hill New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    It's his hind leg and he seems to have done it when chasing a ball as he skids across the grass. I rested him for a month which drove him crazy on advice from the vets, he has been on various painkillers and anti-inflammatories and I have a brace. He is 5 now and we got him as a rescue 2 years ago, he wasn't walked so his legs may not be that strong anyway but the vet wasn't concerned about that. I hope I am doing the right thing with him in his weight loss and will ask the new vet for x-rays just to be safe.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I agree, time for a second opinion. A pulled muscle shouldn't take that long to heal.