Partial Raw Schedule? Diet

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Matthew Meyer, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Matthew Meyer

Matthew Meyer New Member

Name:
    Matt

Partial Raw Schedule?

Hey everyone!! I'm getting a Mali Dutchie in about 2 weeks, and I couldn't be more excited!! I was wondering if I could feed raw in the early morning (6:30 am) and then feed kibble for lunch (12:30 pm) and then feed kibble with a whole egg a couple of times a week for dinner (anywhere from 5-7pm). He's going to be 8 weeks old when I get him.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I sometimes feed my dogs raw frozen (thawed) for dinner. I go always kibble for breakfast and every other night raw for dinner, so 3 meals kibble for every raw meal.

I don’t see why you couldn’t do this with a pup. You may already know that it requires different enzymes to digest raw then kibble, so don’t mix them in the same meal
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Congratulations on your new puppy. I would continue to feed what the breeder has been using for the first couple of weeks, just until he settles in. Then gradually introduce your preferred diet.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    How lovely - a new puppy! Please post lots of pictures of him when you bring him home :)

At eight weeks I would be feeding four small meals a day rather than three, and I agree with @CaroleC about continuing to feed what the breeder did to start with before changing him to the diet you intend to use.
  6. Matthew Meyer

Matthew Meyer New Member

Name:
    Matt
    CaroleC likes this.
    Will do! I will definitely continue to feed the breeders food until he settles in and gradually transition. Thank you all so much!
  7. Brenda Myers

Brenda Myers New Member

Name:
    Brenda Myers
    I would also suggest that you try to balance the diet if you are feeding raw. Raw means pure protein, so try to balance them with high fiber. I always look for high fiber kibble on Chewys or Petcarerx ever since I started feeding raw to my dog.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have been a raw feeder since mid 2011 and a correct, nutritionally balanced raw diet is not just pure protein. The following link gives full details of what a correct raw diet should include:

https://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?p=2108670#post2108670