Pekingese

Discussion in 'Pekingese' started by Susan BATES, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Susan BATES

Susan BATES New Member

Name:
    Susan Bates

Pekingese

I have 2 brothers they are 18 months old now, Tai and Che, Che was born with a hernia and needed it operated on, I had this done about 6 weeks ago, also had him desexed at the same time, to stop aggression with 2 boys, now he is shedding very heavy, to the point he has less than 1/2 the hair he had a month ago, what is wrong with my little man please
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Susan BATES likes this.
    Some dogs moult heavily after neutering and in some breeds the colour and texture of the coat can also change.
  4. Susan BATES

Susan BATES New Member

Name:
    Susan Bates
    thanks I was a bit worried but hoping he is ok, any idea how long this go's on for?
  5. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Depends a lot of times on the dog, there no magic number.
    He will most likely though always a reduced coat thickness.
    Kinda like humans men getting old and having lower testosterone, some go bald or have thinner hair, some don't.
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    GsdSlave likes this.
    did you have a problem with aggression before you had one done, having him done wont necessary stop them falling out if they were or even in the future.

The coat loss will be due to the castration , castration effects many things coat being one of them, he may always be like this, or it might slow down a bit in the future .
  7. Susan BATES

Susan BATES New Member

Name:
    Susan Bates
    What.... I was not told this, I will be speaking to the vet that recommended this tomorrow
  8. Susan BATES

Susan BATES New Member

Name:
    Susan Bates
    Yes Che was very AGGRESSIVE but i was not told this would happen, I am so mad
  9. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Neutering is advertised by a lot of vets as kind of a cure all. It's not.
    It rarely effects behavior like aggression or humping.
  10. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I have family of JRT's mum dad & their 4 hooligans [2 males & 2 females]
    one of my female hooligan's Dottie will go for her sister Ziva everytime they are together in the same room [both have been sprayed] we just make sure there is someone in room with them to keep them apart, however they are find together outside in the garden & on the park.
    Dottie is a very dominate dog [well tries to be] she's ok with her mum, dad & 2 brothers plus 2 of my lodger's dogs Miss Tinula & Ugly Thing, but she don't get on with Kula who is a very dominate female GSD.
    Dottie will try to dominate Ziva & Kula which always end up in Dottie being pinned to the ground by her dad [K9]
  11. Susan BATES

Susan BATES New Member

Name:
    Susan Bates
    shouldn't the vet have told me about him losing his hair......when he had a beautiful long coat
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave likes this.
    While it's likely that the castration has affected his coat, there are many other health conditions that can cause hair loss too so it's a good idea to chat this over with your vet
  13. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    GsdSlave likes this.
    think yesQUOTE="Susan BATES, post: 204146, member: 39676"]shouldn't the vet have told me about him losing his hair......when he had a beautiful long coat[/QUOTE]

Yes/no and in between, I personally believe yes.
    But as it is by the dog many vets, do not include the maybes.
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Castration is such a routine operation that it probably never entered the vet's head that the quality of the dog's coat was an important consideration. He might well mention the possibility of coat change in the case of a show dog - but there again, a show dog would be unlikely to be being castrated anyway.
    A skin and coat supplement and careful grooming might help to stop his coat becoming woolly.
    I hope that castration does help to solve your dogs behaviour problems, if so, it will have been worthwhile - it is horrible living with an aggression problem.
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    As castration is such a routine operation for a vet, that it probably never entered his head that the quality of the dog's coat was an important consideration. A vet might well mention the possibility of coat change in the case of a show dog - but there again, a show dog would be unlikely to be castrated anyway.
    Many young males have a heavy moult and then regain their coats, so this may not necessarily be due to the op. A skin and coat supplement and careful grooming might help to stop his coat going woolly.
    I hope that it helps to solve your dogs behaviour problems, if so, it will be worthwhile.
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Sorry, double posted in error.
  17. muddymoodymoo

muddymoodymoo New Member

Name:
    muddymoodymoo
    Would you still have had him castrated if the vet had told you what you feel you should have been told?
  18. Susan BATES

Susan BATES New Member

Name:
    Susan Bates
    No, he had the more beautiful coat with amazing colours
  19. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    6JRT's and LMost like this.
    Wither show dog or pet I believe vets should be obliged to inform owners of all the side affects.
    Vets are effectively brainwashed by opinion and income to perform neutering at any age irrespective of the personality and traits of that dog.
    The are happy enough to give what they deem the ‘positives’ and as owners the general public are brainwashed into believing it’s the right thing do.
    But they don’t tell you about the hormonal and coat changes after neutering nor will they tell you about the increased risk of Urinary incontinence, skeletal problems if neutered to young and that its not always an answer to behavioural problems, in some cases making it worse, the list goes on.
  20. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Yes Vee, that is very true. Probably because it is now almost mandatory amongst the animal charities, neutering has come to be almost as routine as vaccination for pet dogs, and any downsides are justified by its role in preventing unwanted pregnancies, or as an aid to calming aggressive tendencies. I don't see why the vets couldn't provide a detailed handout to anyone who enquires about spaying or castrating their dog, and let them make an informed decision.
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I cannot comment on castration as I have never owned a male dog, but I do give my little Tikva a skin and coat supplement [among other supplements] because she was so young and so tiny and I had to hand-rear her and then wean her slowly onto raw. She is very short-coated hence the skin and coat supplement. Does it make any difference? Well her coat shines as if it has been polished.

She was spayed far younger than I would have liked but I understand why my vet wanted her done before she had her first season. It made no difference to her but I still give her the skin and coat supplement among others - mainly because I want to make sure that being raw fed she has everything she needs.

And she is only a little girl.