People with Dachshunds General Chat

Discussion in 'Dachshund (Wire Haired)' started by catsta2001, Oct 1, 2007.

1. catsta2001

catsta2001 New Member

Name:
    Cat

People with Dachshunds

When i took him to the vet a few weeks ago he said "oh, he is slightly undershot"

He said he might not be though, to wait for his adult teeth to come through.

I have just had a look and IMO it looks worse.

Does anyone know if there upper jaw is slightly set back from their upper?

Its not really a big deal, but he has excellent breeding, his father is 7 times champion and is now in America., and i brought him on the strength of that.

Do you think i should tell the breeder?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. surannon

surannon New Member

Name:
    Debs
    Hi Catsta,

How old is the puppy? Sometimes puppies go through hideous stages with their mouths and give us all heart attacks while they're teething and growing ;) If he's under four months it might be that this will correct itself as his head grows. I would give his breeder a ring anyway - this could be typical of his lines.

Debs
  4. catsta2001

catsta2001 New Member

Name:
    Cat
    He is 13 weeks.
    The vet did say it might correct itself.
    I will give the breeder a call.
    Thanks for reply.
    Cat.:grin:
  5. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    It is worth talking to his breeder, as Debs has said pups can go through some pretty horrible stages and there is many a time a breeder looks at the one they kept and thought why lol! The numbers of champions etc in the background is irrelevant, these things can crop up from time to time.
    Dachshunds should have a scissor bite so the top teeth should be closerly overlapping the bottom ones.
    Becky
  6. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    I would be more concerned over an undershot jaw than an overshot one, as the lower jaw is the last to grow, if its already out front, it quite possibly may get worst than better? I would definately mention this to the breeder so that she can take into consideration when planning any further breedings, and fingers crossed that this rectifies itself:cry: if your dog is not for showing or breeding, and was bought as a pet, I wouldnt be too concerned.

Mo

edited to add check the teeth, sometimes teeth that are miss aligned can push the jaw out.