Pereg Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Malka, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Pereg

Pereg had a full-blown Grand Mal seizure at 1.15am only about 5 minutes after "lights out". We had had our usual snuggle/cuddle face-to-face, nose to nose "chat" about the day's happenings, with us both on top of the bed before I got under the blanket. She had her little mantra, stayed where she was while I said my prayers, including thanks for another seizure-free day, after which she moved down the bed and settled by my feet. I had checked the time once she had settled and less than five minutes later she went into a full-blown GM which took her 20 minutes to fully come out of and another ten before she was able to get off the bed.

I managed to get 20mg oral Valium down her, wiped her down with baby wipes, stripped the bed [she always loses bladder control during a GM] - was too exhausted to try to put clean mattress covers, fitted sheets etc on it, just threw a clean blanket on it to cover me, and ended up leaving her to cope with her post-ictal pacing and screeching for food - which she did not need but thought she did - because I was just too exhausted to cope any longer, so collapsed on the bed.

She came back to bed a while later although I do not know at what time - got up and paced a bit more then came back to bed again - but then got me up at 6am to go out again and there was no point going back to bed again after that.

She went 29 days seizure-free this time. It was 67 last time. Before then? She had a very bad few weeks when she could not even get to 10 days sz-free but that was due to the Seresto collar and once that was off and out of her system she has been back to her usual will-I won't-I have a seizure time.

And knowing her, with no obvious trigger and no regular pattern, she is quite likely to have another one or two GMs within 24-36 hours of that one. At the moment it has just gone 8pm so I am on tenterhooks and every sound and movement from her has me on edge.

And I still have not made the bed.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    So sorry to hear about little Pereg, hope she be seizure free tonight Malka xxxxx
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Thinking of you both.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Thanks for your kind thoughts. I have been trying to forget it all day but I am so tired and desperately want to go to bed, only I cannot as it is not even half past nine yet and she has her last meds at 11pm. I can give them a bit early but not this early.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Second one 22 hours after the first.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    More Valium, more food, and maybe we can now go to bed.
  8. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Hope you both had a peaceful night.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    We did, eventually, thank you Janet for asking. I hope this episode is now over for both out sakes, but with Pereg - who knows? She is her usual happy self, as she always is having gotten over a seizure and the aftermath, leaving me like a zombie and needing sleep, sleep and more sleep.

I do not think I will ever manage to get enough sleep though. :(
  10. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Fingers cross she be ok today Malka & you be able to catch up on some much needed sleep :015:
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    So sorry to read this, Malka and Pereg. I hope that is it for this time, and you can get the rest that you need.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I really do not know. She was fine this morning but has been very quiet and "down" since. Did not ask for food and I had to keep asking her until maybe 6pm? Only gave her half which is OK as she needs to lose weight - but it is now past 9pm and she even needs me to go out with her to pee as she just does not want to move.

Normally by now she would have had her second meal, a bone one, but she is not interested.

And to be honest I am now rather worried about her.
  13. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Have you spoken to Ram?
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Spoke with him this morning - there was no point in disturbing him over Shabbat as he could not have done anything but he always wants to know when Pereg has a seizure so I called him this morning after the surgery opened.

He is not particularly bothered as she had gone 29 days, but as I told him, he is not the one who gets no sleep when she seizes! And what did he do? He giggled, as he always does.

I really do love Ram - he is a very special guy as well as being a first-class vet who has made a speciality in [of?] canine epilepsy. And he loves Pereg.

She still has not asked for her evening bone meal and is flonked out by my front wheel although will shoot up and rush out if she hears something - I just do not know what to think.

She is not her normal self. Well she is part of the time and is not part of the time - but I do not want to take her to the surgery if it is not necessary although of course I would instantly if it was. She is due to go around 19 November for her 6-monthly full check-up and blood tests and I will probably take her before then.

I just do not know and I do not know if this episode is over yet.
  15. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    hope pereg perks up soon malka. wishing you a good nights sleep
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    She is still very down. Did not ask for her usual second bone meal - just is not herself but I do not know how to explain it or what is wrong.

She is just not herself.
  17. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    How are things today?
  18. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I hope Pereg's feeling better today and last night you both managed to get some much needed sleep. Has Pereg started eating again? Lots of hugs from me and my lot. :058:
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am getting worried because she does not want food. OK, I want her to lose weight and it will not harm her to miss an occasional meal, but she is just like she does not care? I only gave her half normal first meal yesterday, the "wet" one which has all her supplements and vitamins in. She cleaned out the bowl but it was late - very late - and she die not ask for her usual bone meal during the evening,

This is not like Pereg, who is a total gannet, more so because of her medication.

Something is wrong but it is nothing that I can think of - no point in taking her to Ram at the moment as she is mostly her normal self.

I cannot explain it - I just know that something is not right.
  20. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Keep us posted Malka. I do think you are right to listen to your gut feelings.
    Thinking of you and hoping Pereg is back to her gutsy self in the morning.
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am not sure how she is this morning - still not "herself" but not something that screams "vet" at me.

She did eventually decide she wanted food yesterday but again I did not give her the usual amount, and she did not ask for a bone meal until quite late. But - she is happily scoffing her pills as at the moment I am squidging them into a tiny piece of bread - something neither of us normally eats - as she was turning her nose up at the cheese.

She knows perfectly well that there are pills in the bit of squidged bread because she watches me do it - she is just a bit "off" although I do not know why.