Pereg's had a Grand Mal seizure Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Malka, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Pereg's had a Grand Mal seizure

For those Breedia members who do not post on Dogsey, may I please have some vibes for Pereg as she is not doing too well at the moment following a major Grand Mal seizure last night.

Thanks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Sending lots of healing vibes your way Malka, hope Pereg gets well soon xx
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    So sorry to hear about Pereg's seizure.

Am thinking of you both.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oh Malka, I'm so sorry that this has happened again. I hope she recovers quickly.
  6. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Poor Pereg and poor you, all the good wishes I can muster are speeding their way to you now x
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Thanks everyone. Poor Pereg looks as if she has had all the stuffing knocked out of her - bit of an oxymoron that as she is still bulging from have gone through half a freezer drawer of frozen chicken backs last night when I was trying to calm her down following the seizure.

She is not really hungry when she is post-ictal but her brain tells her she is, and when she is pacing and nagging and almost hysterical the only thing that calms her a bit is when she has more food - and then more.

It took all that, plus a total of 30mg Valium, before she gave in to her exhaustion, and gone 3am before I managed to get to bed - only to be woken every hour by her asking to go out and drinking loads of water both on the way out and on the way back to bed.

She has hardly moved this morning, only getting up to follow me if I go to the loo or the kitchen, when she will flonk down where she can see me, only getting up when I come back. And she has not only not asked for any food [which I do not mind after the amount she ate last night] but even refused to take her 3pm Pb which was wrapped in cheese as usual, and I never normally have any problems with her taking her meds.

So I am rather worried, to say the least.
  8. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Sorry to hear that Malka :( Will be keeping her in my thoughts.

Our old cat started having seizures in his old age, and I know how distressing it is for both pet and owner!
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Hope she feels better soon Malka, the day following a fit can be so worrying and upsetting, for both dog and owner *hug*
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Sorry to hear about Pereg, sending positive thoughts .xx
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Thanks everyone. She only made it to Day 17 this time so I was not really expecting it although of course I am always on seizure-watch.

The thing is though Azz is that she is usually back to normal once the seizure and post-ictal period are over, not lethargic like this. She does not appear to be brewing up another one but may very well be as they frequently come in two's or three's, but I am praying she does not as she has nowhere near recovered from last night's Grand Mal.
  12. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    So sorry to hear about Pereg I know how she must be feeling, I am always out of it after I have had a seizure.
    Sending you lots of cyberspace {{hugs}}
  13. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Malka I'm so sorry to hear Pereg's had another seizure. I hope you both get a good night's sleep. Thinking of you.
  14. buglysprince

buglysprince New Member

Name:
    Lesley
    Sorry to hear about Pereg wishing her a speedy recovery
  15. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Poor pereg and you. Hope shes feeling better soon.
  16. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    How's Pereg this morning?
  17. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I hope you both had a peaceful night x
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    She seems fine thanks but see my answer to Shirley :rolleyes:

Umm, yes, no and then yes! Pereg was almost back to normal yesterday evening and even had a bit of a play with her toys after her 11pm Pb so we did not get to bed until about a quarter to one - had just fallen asleep and The Monster came back :mad: and she crashed down onto the floor :( but at least she did not pee on the bed this time - she filled one of my slippers instead. :lol:

During the GM on Monday night she kept banging her head on the refrigerator door, denting it [the door, not her head] as I could not move her, and this second one her head was banging on the base of my bed but I somehow managed to get down and pull her away. Unfortunately for the first time in three years she bit her tongue so the white streak under her jaw and on her throat ended up rather bloody but I do not think it was too bad.

Again it took a good few minutes after the GM for her to come out of it and she was still paddling but very slowly while she tried to lift her head up. But she eventually managed to get up and only fell over once in the process - I got some baby wipes to clean her head and neck and also wipe her rear end down, was so exhausted that I gave her 20mg Valium [I normally give her 10mg at a time] and somehow got her back into the bedroom and onto the bed - I think she must have been as exhausted as I was, as she went straight back to sleep.

She woke up once during the night, around 5am to go out, did a huge pee and a poo, came back in, jumped up on the bed and that was it until the alarm went for her 7am Pb and we both then got another couple of hours sleep after that. And now she seems back to normal B"H as if nothing has happened, unlike yesterday when she was mostly out of it all day.
  19. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    On the whole I'd say that's a bit better, well apart from the head banging. Bitten tongues always look far worse than they are because the blood mingles with the saliva and a small cut can look like a massacre.
    Fingers crossed there'll be no more for a while now.
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The only consolation about the head banging though, if there is any, is that the refrigerator door is not solid, and the base of my bed is MDF - the mattress is on slats which can be lifted up so there is a load of storage space under it - so also is not solid. And Pereg has a very solid head!

She always picks the most inconvenient times to have seizures - either on the Sabbath or Holy days or after surgery hours/during the night - Ram says she does it deliberately!

But - Pereg is epileptic and after over three years now I sort of go into automatic mode when she has a GM and much as I hate it so much I would rather have an epi Pereg than never have had the joy and pleasure she gives me.

Because I love her so much. :049:
  21. swimdog

swimdog Member

Name:
    jackie
    :049: Just seen this thread Malka, so sorry poor Pereg. How is the poor baby. Zack sends Woofs for her, I send big hugs from me. :049::049: