Pet medication online Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by katygeorge, Mar 25, 2014.

1. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    6JRT's likes this.

Pet medication online

Does anybody buy prescription medicine online for their pooch? What do you do about it?

Phoebe's antibiotics yesterday cost me £112 for 1 week yet online i can get them for £35
    But with things like antibiotics and antibiotic ear drops i feel like im in a catch 22. I wanted the medicine phoebe needed asap and i knew if i got a prescription to use online i would be waiting 2-3 days.
    I also have access to a local pet pharmacy and am just waiting for details from them about prices ect.

Ive come up with 2 solutions to my problem -

1 - get a prescription for the meds we use on a regular basis buy them and have them ready in cupboard as im pretty sure i would use them before the use by date

2 - get a prescription for the eardrops and if we ever need antibiotics again only get 3 days worth and a prescription for the rest which would save a bit of money

What do you do about none routine medicine?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Wow that's quite a difference!

I had a deal with my vet - if I bought 3 months at a time he would give them to us a little cheaper :D so it ended up not being that far off online.
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    That seems very expensive! But I agree - if your dog needs antibiotics, you obviously want to start the treatment immediately and not wait for delivery.

I've never had to get prescriptions online - either my vet is very reasonable (which he is) or perhaps I've been lucky that so far mine have never needed expensive treatment. Whenever I go to the vet - which will be more frequent now Witty will need ongoing medication for his heart - the bill is usually between £20 - £30. That includes the consultation and any injection or tablets.

Although, of course, who knows what is round the corner! One of them may develop something needing expensive drugs - I haven't got insurance, so will have to find the money from somewhere!
  5. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    if it was something i was going to use all the time it would be easy to work out what to do but its antibiotics and as much as she may do atleast 3 courses a year and easy 2 sets of the antibiotic ear drops i have no idea if she will and when she will want them. I need me a crystal ball
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I cannot buy Pereg's regular medication [Phenobarbitone - the human version as Epiphen is not available here] online and can only get from either my Vet [I phone to order, he phones when it is in, I pay by card over the phone and then get one of my drivers to collect the Pb for me], or, Ram give me a prescription [free] and in theory I could get the Pb slightly [only slightly] cheaper from a pharmacy.

But the nearest pharmacy involves another taxi journey from the surgery and pharmacies are only permitted to dispense a month's supply at a time, and as that would mean a lot for Pereg they would refuse to allow me that many at a time So I pay extra for them from Ram but he will let me buy as many packs as I want. As Pereg is on 65mg TID and we only have 15mg and 100mg tablets, she needs three x 15mg and 1½ x 100mg a day. So two packs of 30 x 15mg to each pack of 30 x 100mg.

As she will be on them for life, I order in bulk and Ram gives me a discount, plus, if necessary, I can pay for them in as many payments as I want. It is easy and involves just two phone calls and one taxi fare. One call to order the pills and one call to either David or Meir to collect them, plus the taxi fare for them to bring them here.
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I buy all my pets medication from Viovets or from Pets med on line lot cheaper then from my vets.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I would do the same if I could. Someone I know from the Epi List recently lost her beloved dog and had just bought a load of new medication so offered it to whoever wanted. I wanted the Pb and sent her £20 for an amount that would have cost me the equivalent of £250 here. She only wanted half of what she had paid, buying online, which would have worked out about £15 so I sent the extra to cover the postage. She told me she would have given them away but just could not afford to. And I could not afford NOT to buy them from her.

Saving that money is going to go quite a way towards Pereg's next lot of blood tests at the end of next month.
  9. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    what do you do with unexpected medication like antibiotics though. wait till they arrive?
  10. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    do places like pet meds not accept prescriptions from where you live or post stuff there
  11. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    What antibiotic does she have?
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I doubt they would accept an overseas prescription and pharmaceuticals are only allowed to be imported by licenced importers.

Strictly speaking it was illegal for Pauline to send me the Pb, but what she did was remove the label [the pills are in a little bottle, not in packets as they are here] and wrote "natural products for personal use" on the customs label. That is what iHerb, from whom I get all vitamins and supplements, put on all their parcels, but of course they do not supply pharmaceuticals.
  13. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    depends. if its her skin we get cephacare but if its something else we get the pink badboys she has 2 twice a day so 28 a week
  14. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    oh what a shame. worth looking in to as my mum uses a company in france so some must post to outside their own country
  15. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I've got 15 that you're welcome to, which would give you time to then get them online
  16. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    are you sure?? can you not take them back to vets for a refund or keep them for one of your other dogs
  17. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    No the vet's won't take them back and the others so rarely visit the vet I'd chuck them in the cupboard and they'd get forgotten about, so if you want them you can have them.
  18. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I buy small amount of antibiotics from vets then order more on line that way I can start my dogs on the medication & not have to worry about when the on line medication will be coming
  19. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    if your sure ild happily take them. ill give you some money for them. @Azz can you do one of them private messages for us?
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    If you bought the ABs from the Vet I would have thought they would take them back, especially in the current sad circumstances.

The one time I took Pereg [she had been limping] when Ram was not on duty and she was seen by a locum vet, he gave her an injection and then gave me ABs for ten days. When I got home I checked and that particular one was listed as being contra-indicated for an epileptic dog. I took them back the following week as she had to go for a blood test and was refunded the full amount.
  21. Brandykins

Brandykins Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Rosemary
    Malka likes this.
    Loki meds cost me £70 per month now - I could get them online cheaper but with the cost of the prescription I would have to make to the vet each month and then supply it to an online site, I wouldn't be saving very much!