Pets Cool mats Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by 6JRT's, Jun 12, 2014.

1. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz likes this.

Pets Cool mats

I have just bought some pet cool mats off Amazon, as its been very hot here, about couple of years ago I was lucky enough to win a medium cool mat, which my 6 have been sharing today - not very well as at to break up 3 fights, so went on line & brought 12 pet cooling pads (look very small as the one I won was a medium size so I bought 2 for each dog)
    They are a god send in hot weather as stay cool for hours
    Here is picture off Amazon off of the ones I have bought
    51SuvFY+K+L._SY400_.jpeg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    6JRT's likes this.
    Good idea Tina. Dread to think of the size ild need, i freeze a hot water bottle for phoebe and its last a good few hours she just lays close to it at first but once its lost some of its chill she will cuddle it of lay on top of it.
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    You will need this size maybe
    51vLl8vMRCL._SY200_.jpeg
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    6JRT's likes this.
    Looks good Tina - do you have to freeze them or something?
  6. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    6JRT's likes this.
    My lot just lay in front of the fan, well they do eventually once they've finished playfighting. Maybe they appreciate the cooling breeze after they've worked up a sweat. I don't think the Pugs would use a mat cos no matter how hot it is they try and sit on my lap or drape themselves around my neck. Perhaps I could use it instead.
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz likes this.
    No the one I won I just at to fill with water to activate the gel & the ones I just bought the dogs activate the gel when they sit/lie on them.
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    6JRT's and katygeorge like this.
    Figo would just eat it !!!
  9. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    6JRT's likes this.
    Good idea Tina :)
    I have stone tiles on my kitchen floor and they are lovely and cool in the summer.
    Chloe lays on them and I go bare footed :) heaven...
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    Pereg has never slept on any type of bed or mat [except my bed of course which she says is hers] but when she is not doing her velcro act against my front wheel she goes to find the coolest stone tiles she can find - all the floors are stone. And she shifts to a cooler place when necessary - if she can find one.

She was rather distressed last night as the bed was too hot and she was not happy on the floor, so I put the air-con on and she blissfully zonked at the foot of the bed under where it blows.

I have the one on in the salon at the moment - did have the fans on but useless blowing hot air about.

And it is not even full summer yet. :010:
  11. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    6JRT's likes this.
    Have they arrived Tina what do you think of them?
  12. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    They are brilliant the dog activate them as soon as they sit on they the start cooling (I nicked K9's last night rested me head on it & it started to cool) think I might buy some more bigger ones put outside for the dogs to lie on during day .
  13. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Great stuff cos after thinking about it I ordered a large one to put under my sheet of a night time, I keep waking up more tired than when I went to bed lol
  14. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    6JRT's likes this.
    wonder if my hub would like one. Hes a naturally hot person and im naturally cold so we have a duvet on off fight at night. Its only a summer one about 3togg but i need it and he tries to kick it of end of bed.
  15. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I don't have a duvet at all in the summer just a sheet, I use a summer weight duvet in the winter, because the OH works nights it's only an issue on his nights off but I'm like a furnace I pump out enough heat to keep the entire street warm. It arrived today so I'll let you know what I think tomorrow.
  16. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    6JRT's likes this.
    Well it worked rather well, it was lovely and cool but when I woke up at about 5.30am for a wee It was no longer cool, the gel had turned to liquid and when I got back into bed it sounded like a water bed, a bit squelchy. Not surprising really, I don't suppose many dogs lie still for a full 8 hours or get half as hot as I do. I found it was good for about six and a half hours and made the whole area around me cooler too. It covered an area from my shoulders to my knees and yet my feet were cool too. I found it improved my quality of sleep as I pretty much stayed still whereas I'm usually a right fidget tossing and turning all night and frequently wake up spread diagonally across the bed. I would say that was 20 quid well spent.

Mine came from Zooplus

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/waterproof_beds/cooling_pad/280452
  17. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    As I have to keep getting up to go loo over night I think that's why my little ones stayed cooler, but then I was swapping them over when I got up, have ordered some from Zooplus {thanks for link Trouble) tonight as they cheaper from Amazon.
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    The air-con in my bedroom will be on all night from now until the end of the l-o-n-g summer, but at the moment is only set on 26° which is pleasantly cool without being cold. As the summer gets hotter I will have to turn it down a bit but I definitely do not want a cold bedroom, just a cool one.

It is noticeable when I have to go through the bungalow to let Pereg out during the night that it is much warmer in the rest of the place so 26 is ideal for both of us - at the moment.

Better than having a panting and muttering mutt complaining that she is too hot! :044:
  19. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I've got air con in my bedroom but I'm a light sleeper and the hum keeps me awake so it's used to cool the room before bed but it has to go off at bedtime..
    I would sell my soul for a cold bedroom :lol: Probably be no takers though. I'm just hot stuff cos I have the air con on in winter too and the windows are never closed.
    Teddy gets hot at night so I give him a frozen litre bottle of water in a double thickness fleece sleeve in his crate at night and that sorts him out.
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The air-con units I have [one in salon, one in bedroom] are small wall mounted ones and are extremely quiet so I do not hear them. Of course, being rather hard of hearing does help :D [I sleep on my deaf ear side but even my "good" ear is not that good...] but I also have Pereg on the bed and she can get quite noisy during her sleep so I guess I am used to a bit of noise! :lol: But then I have to be aware of any noise she makes for obvious reasons.

As I am sure you know though, one thing that can make an air-con unit noisy is if the filters are not regularly cleaned [mine get stuck under a tap and then just shaken dry].

The problem with this bungalow is that it is freezing during the winter [concrete and breeze-block walls and nothing between the plasterboard ceiling and the roof tiles] and like an oven during the summer with nothing to shade it. I do not bother with any heating during the winter - correction - I think I put the one in the salon on maybe three or four times? Definitely no heating in my bedroom in the winter though although I do close the window above my headboard. The other two windows stay open.
  21. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    6JRT's likes this.
    My hearing is fine but I've always been a really light sleeper, the a/c isn't noisy just too noisy for me. As for the heating mine rarely went on and hasn't been on once in 3 years. It always makes me go WHAAAAAT when people say they've put their heating on in september, when my back door and windows are open in january.