Piriton for dogs. Dosage Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by katygeorge, Apr 8, 2014.

1. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Azz likes this.

Piriton for dogs. Dosage

Hello

Phoebe is all itchy at the moment. Ive been and bought her some piriton but couldnt remember the dosage so i phoned vets to ask. They couldnt find it on phoebes records even though ive had it from there many times before. So they asked a vet who said 1 tablet twice a day. As much as i cant remember the dosage i know its more than that as i remember being shocked at the amount she needed as it was more than the human dosage yet this is half the human dosage. Ive looked online but cant seam to find a definitive answer but found some that had dogs of similar size to Phoebe who are giving 8 - 10 tablets a day. Its been a week now and she still itchy so im sure its because the dosage is wrong. Does anybody have a clue?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    based on dosage instructions on petmeds she should be having 6 1/4 tablets twice a day.
  4. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    I really don't know about a dog Phoebe's size. I know when my Missy was stung on the nose a couple years back by a Wasp ( we think ), I was advised to give her half a tablet twice daily. 8-10 sounds excessive IMO, but I could be wrong.
  5. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    im going to have to go and ask the vet again. as im reading doses of around 8-10 and doses of 2-4 then the instructions say 0.5 mg per kg of body weight twice a day. that works out at 6 1/4 4mg tabs a day twice a day
  6. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    There's an old thread over on Dogsey - don't know if that would help.
  7. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    can you find it, im not having much luck
  8. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    i found it now. that says 1-2 tabs twice a day. i think im going to try that as its not a dramatic increase and will hopefully help
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I used to give my Akita 2 per day, but check with your vet, they should tell you over the phone.., 8/10 seems excessive .

I also used to give him ‘Rooibos Tea’ in his drinking water or you can get it dried to sprinkle over food.
  10. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    Can you give your vet a quick call? They would be best to work out the exact dose for you.

Finn can get 8 tablets a day. (32mg for a 32kg dog)
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  12. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    is my vet that said 2 tabs a day. Shes 54kg so your dog is having more than her. everywhere ive looked says something different so im sticking with 4 tabs a day thats 16mg a day as that seams like the most common dose from what ive been reading.
  13. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    There is such a variation in doses so probably best to stick to your vets guide :) I never had to give Finn 8 tablets a day even though it was ok. The most he ever had was 6 and that knocked him out.
  14. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    Found this on a boxer site.
    AntihistamineChart-1.jpg
  15. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    thanks @Carole im gonna stick with 4 and see how we get on as 2 wasnt helping atall but dont want to jump up to high when 4 might be enough to take the itch away
  16. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    I am sure 4 will be enough :) Hope it helps the itching.
  17. vetmum

vetmum New Member

Name:
    sian
    CaroleC likes this.
    Your vet is quite right the dose rate is 4mg/dog BID or TID (2 or 3 times a day). The problem is piriton in dogs is nowhere near as effective as in people but we suggest it because the side effects are minimal compared to other drugs such as steroids (which are sometimes necessary). It sounds like you may need to revisit your vet for alternative treatment options for the story in your dog. I'd recommend you cover immunotherapy, apoquel or atopica and if you aren't insured and money is restricted steroid pulse therapy. Obviously this is a late post so I'm sure you've already sorted this but thought I'd reply so other folks reading this have useful info for their pets
  18. Benjamin1995

Benjamin1995 New Member

Name:
    Benjamin
    I honestly have no idea. I would recommend talking to a veterinarian. My Border Collie has some allergies and I give her a supplement from Vet's Best. I would recommend phoning the vet. I looked it up and it said one to two tablets for a large dog. Definitely go by what your veterinarian says. I couldn't find a lot of information online. I'm sure four tablets will definitely work. Just go with your vet's advice.