pit bull type? BSL

Discussion in 'American Pit Bull Terrier' started by SBT, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBT

SBT New Member

Name:
    SBT

pit bull type?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2007
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    It is very sad, it certainly looks nothing like a pit bull type to me:cry:

I do hope they get the dog back soon
  4. DobieGirl

DobieGirl New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    Oh my gosh, this is getting worse by the second. This story sickens me! It looks nothing like a pitt bull! that poor woman! :evil:
  5. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Well I have reported several dogs that are left roaming the streets to Bolton Dog Warden, they are still roaming around.
    One of them in particular runs at the local village bus as it is coming into the village and attacks its tyres, it runs at your car, it has run at my 2 (once when it was very icy and I was very nearly dragged over), it hangs around the local shop sometimes. But hey it mustn't be doing any harm, it looks like a collie cross so lets leave it and concentrate on a genuinely lost dog where there is an absolute minute chance of it being classed as a pitbull!!!!
  6. Trish

Trish

Name:
    Trish
    Hollie is a staffie cross - as fa as we know, she was dumped - do we need to worry?
  7. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I appreciate that this does indeed seem to be a worrying case but we have to look at the facts 1) the dog had been allowed to stray 2) the owner has admitted that she walks him on a lead only wearing a muzzle but then goes on to claim he hasn't attacked anyone 3) the dog is called Gnasher, can you see where I'm going?
    The picture isn't good enough for anyone to say he is or isn't.
    Becky
  8. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I don't think that's fair Becky, should she wait for him to bite someone before she puts a muzzle on him or is she being cautious in that respect, and Gnasher is a cartoon dog what's wrong with the name she does have kids.
    I do agree the dog was roaming and therefore she could have taken more care in view of recent events, but I can't see why they can't return the dog to the owner pending enquiries.
  9. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Because that is not what the law says. However, it would seem that the council themselves are trying to establish the breed rather than the owner, which is what is required by law.
    Becky
  10. DobieGirl

DobieGirl New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    So are you saying that if I had a Dog, called Gnipper (Gnashers brother :lol: ), who I muzzled for, lets say, the protection of my Dog nipping kids, who then escaped. I should not be allowed her back because of her name and the fact I take an extra precaution? thats very narrow minded...
  11. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    What I'm saying is if the dog is harmless why muzzle it? With regards to names I question anyone who has a powerful dog who then names it Gnasher, Satan, Khan, Kane, all these 'macho' names, certainly does nothing for the image.
    Becky
  12. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Keeping dogs under proper control.

3.—(1) If a dog is dangerously out of control in a public place—
    • (a) the owner; and
    • (b) if different, the person for the time being in charge of the dog,
    is guilty of an offence, or, if the dog while so out of control injures any person, an aggravated offence, under this subsection.

(2) In proceedings for an offence under subsection (1) above against a person who is the owner of a dog but was not at the material time in charge of it, it shall be a defence for the accused to prove that the dog was at the material time in the charge of a person whom he reasonably believed to be a fit and proper person to be in charge of it.

(3) If the owner or, if different, the person for the time being in charge of a dog allows it to enter a place which is not a public place but where it is not permitted to be and while it is there—
    • (a) it injures any person; or
    • (b) there are grounds for reasonable apprehension that it will do so,
    he is guilty of an offence, or, if the dog injures any person, an aggravated offence, under this subsection.

(4) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) or (3) above other than an aggravated offence is liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or both; and a person guilty of an aggravated offence under either of those subsections is liable—
    • (a) on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or both;
    • (b) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years or a fine or both.
    (5) It is hereby declared for the avoidance of doubt that an order under section 2 of the [1871 c. 56.] Dogs Act 1871 (order on complaint that dog is dangerous and not kept under proper control)—
    • (a) may be made whether or not the dog is shown to have injured any person; and
    • (b) may specify the measures to be taken for keeping the dog under proper control, whether by muzzling, keeping on a lead, excluding it from specified places or otherwise.
    (6) If it appears to a court on a complaint under section 2 of the said Act of 1871 that the dog to which the complaint relates is a male and would be less dangerous if neutered the court may under that section make an order requiring it to be neutered.

(7) The reference in section 1(3) of the [1989 c. 30.] Dangerous Dogs Act 1989 (penalties) to failing to comply with an order under section 2 of the said Act of 1871 to keep a dog under proper control shall include a reference to failing to comply with any other order made under that section; but no order shall be made under that section by virtue of subsection (6) above where the matters complained of arose before the coming into force of that subsection.

I think they need to exercise discretion and keep the public onside unless they really want to foster mass hysteria. I still think your comments re the muzzle and his name were unfair.
  13. DobieGirl

DobieGirl New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    Well lets face it, your not going to call a pittbull fluffy :lol:

I understand your point, but it depends on the situation. My OH wanted to call Roxy something 'toughish' if it was a boy (and he is a computer geek not a macho man :lol: ).

Basically so he didn't sound like a pleb whilst shouting his name across a field.
  14. Stamford

Stamford New Member

Name:
    Steve
    Lets take your points Becky...

1) the dog had been allowed to stray
    True the dog escaped,but accidents can and do happen.
    2) the owner has admitted that she walks him on a lead only wearing a muzzle
    Surely precaution is a good thing.
    3) the dog is called Gnasher, can you see where I'm going?
    My dog is named after Peter Osgood,but he will never make a top footballer.

Your last point " The picture isn't good enough for anyone to say he is or isn't.
    Is very true,but neither is the current legislation.

Not having a go Becky,but just as i see it.
  15. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Ok that is precisely the reason my huge male Dobermann is called Syd, a right old geezers name but that is my choice and who the hell are we to question anyones name of their pet, Gnasher is no different from Scooby or Muttley or Spike for that matter they cartoon dogs:lol:
  16. SBT

SBT New Member

Name:
    SBT
    under the dda you need to prove that a dog that is said to be a pit bull type is not, the dog is guilty until proven innocent of the crime of being a pit bull type.
    keep your dog under control I can't see you would have a problem.
  17. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Sorry Becky this is not a personal attack and please don't think that it is, but and you knew there would be a but didn't ya, but
    My dogs are all trained to wear muzzles as you never know when the need will arise and I don't want them scared of anything in life. Syd used to nibble the carpet in the rear of the car and made a hole in my OH brand new BMW, the simple solution for that was to muzzle him for short periods while travelling and thankfully he has outgrown it.
    You're right though people do jump to conclusions whenever they see a muzzled dog and frankly other dog owners are usually the first to run off screaming:lol:
  18. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I know dogs wear muzzles for varying reasons, I knew someone who had to muzzle their dog because he scavenged and made himself ill, however, he was muzzled but let off the lead. The owner admits her dog is muzzled and walked on a lead so you have to question why.
    As regards the name, I'm referring more to the mentality of the owner rather than the attributes of the dog.
    Becky
  19. SBT

SBT New Member

Name:
    SBT
    This dog is in danger of being killed, he looks guilty because he is called Gnasher, he escaped from his garden, he is muzzled when he goes for a walk but worst of all he is a cross breed what a bad dog:smt018
  20. Sara1210

Sara1210 New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Come on, her kids could be massive dennis the menace fans! And maybe they named him.
  21. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley

:shock: I'd say she can't do right for doing wrong in that case, she has taken all necessary precautions to safeguard the public, and yet she is still condemned for her actions.

I think we should all take a healthy dose of tolerance and be less judgemental:grin: Try putting yourself in someone else's shoes and see how it might feel.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.