Pointer behaviour questions Behaviour

Discussion in 'Pointer' started by GirondeDeb, Feb 7, 2012.

1. GirondeDeb

GirondeDeb New Member

Name:
    Con

Pointer behaviour questions

As some of you know I have a rescue Pointer I took on six years ago as a shell-shocked failed gundog. I don't work her, so she isn't classically trained as a Pointer, but she seems like she's from working stock and may have some memories of her training from before (unlikely as she spent 8 months in the pound between owners).

The unusual snowy weather has raised a couple of things:

1. She will not catch birds, even if they practically fly into her mouth. She has been pointing at some poor thrushes in the garden who are desperately looking for food, and seem very weak, but Saba won't try to catch them, eventhough she easily could. I'm really glad about this, but wondered whether this is innate or learnt behaviour.

2. When she is inside she has been much more interested in birds she can see through the window. Yesterday she pointed through the window at some chaffinches, and I've never seen her do that before. I can only think that the birds are more obvious against the snow. Which made me think, how much does a Pointer rely on sight to find it's quarry? I always assumed it was more about sound and smell....

I'd love to hear your ideas.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Pointers do not retrieve, they just point and flush. They were not bred to retrieve.
  4. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    1. pointers, and setters are not expected to retrieve in this country, although they do abroad. We want them to point, flush and for me, carry on hunting to find any remaining game. I have had a pointer peg a bird before, but it was a different species to a game bird. We don't want them to catch the birds so imagine it has been bred out of them over the years.

2. They mainly rely on scent but do "sight point". Mine don't tend to point other species than game, although my old pointer used to point skylarks when there was very little game about. Not a good trait to have though, so again, would have been bred out. I have just taken on a setter, who has been sight pointing the chickens, although will ignore them once we are past them.

Grouse are usually sitting underneath heather, certainly when they see someone approaching so the dog needs to rely on scent. I have had pointers sightpoint but certainly not as much as scenting them.

Helen
  5. GirondeDeb

GirondeDeb New Member

Name:
    Con
    Yes, you just have to try and play Fetch with Saba to learn that one! I just find it amazing that the drive to catch prey can be so diminished by breeding.

Thanks Helen. How hard was it to train the pointer not to peg once he had done it?

Have your pointers ever taken to pointing at non birds? Saba will point at lizards in the summer, which is fine as she isn't being used to work, but would be a pain if she were.

Maybe your old pointer had some French heritage...they still seem to shoot any songbird going down here, so I'm sure skylarks would be on the menu!
  6. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    She only did it a couple of times and not with grouse so not a major problem. Tricky to stop her if she had continued as you don't want to reprimand her when she's pointing - bit of a fine line.

No, they've never pointed anything other than birds. I guess when they are being worked, their whole being is geared towards game birds and they get plenty of that, so don't need to point anything else.

I just love watching, and training, pointing breeds. The natural ability is just amazing to watch.

Helen
  7. GirondeDeb

GirondeDeb New Member

Name:
    Con
    I am a rank amateur compared to you, but I know exactly what you mean. I'm amazed how Saba lives to point, and does it so well despite my bad training!

She's a bit arthritic now, so I don't want to teach the drop, but how do you train them to not chase after they have flushed?