Politics & Pooches In The Dog Show World! Showing

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by GsdSlave, Jan 26, 2016.

1. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee

Politics & Pooches In The Dog Show World!

Was reading an article on Dog Shows,Here’s a few bits.

Seems very dramatic but extremely entertaining lol. Do outsiders really view us like this??

The dog show world is often viewed as this oddity of a realm. Full of weirdly clad, socially inept outcasts that have trouble fitting into normal society. After all who walks around in heavily knit sweaters with their personal pet covering the front. Christmas gifts are easy, find a mug with the owned breed and wrap away! If you find matching breed wrapping paper you have just hit the dog show goer lottery, and will be rewarded with kisses from both owner and pet.
    The followers may carry in crates, water bowls, or actually scoop the poop from their false idols’ hounds.
    They stay glued to dog forums, social media sites, and cell phones. The gossip lives to breathe dog show information, from who bred which dog to which bitch, to who has a son that was arrested for cooking meth in their bathroom.
    https://breedingbusiness.com/politics-pooches-dog-show-world/

Then I came across these which did make me chuckle

Westminster:White-Women-in-Knee-Length-Suits Group
    Westminster: White Working Men in Suits group

Fascinating, the differences between nations, the big moan here from the more conservatively dressed exhibitors, mainly of other, 'neater' breeds, is that Shepherd folk turn up in jeans n trainers,couldn't see myself running a gsd in a skirt lol.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    Thank you for posting this - very entertaining!

Have you ever seen the Christopher Guest film Best in Show?
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Excellent Vee!

and, Yes, Best in Show was a good laugh too.
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I use to show my dogs in a red 3 piece trouser suit [trousers waistcoat & jacket] with a white blouse.
  6. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    So that's what people think. Wow. Not really a fan of how the bully people do their shows, so do they really have grounds to speak!?

That is interesting about the difference in dress, as in AKC you see handlers in skirts showing GSDs.
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    @ Janet Have you ever seen the Christopher Guest film Best in Show?[/QUOTE]
    No not yet but ill look it up thanks

Here in the UK we have 2 types of GSD what one would call the old fashion type (Alsatian) which you could wear a skirt as they don’t move them very much.

The other is the Germanic type which conforms to the German blueprint, most of the Germanic type shows are held outside in large arenas like this, one has to be really fit to handle them as they move them at different speeds for a very long time. Most owners have professional handlers at these type of shows.

Though our rings are not quite as big it’s the same principle.

8. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Hope none of the dogs were noise sensitive - it was very noisy!
  9. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Great info @GsdSlave
    I would never wear skirt to show any dog myself.
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    CaroleC likes this.
    Skirts are becoming more popular here in the UK, it all depends on the breed you show, if you have to bend down far or move fast, but please keep them knee length, no one wats to see what you had for supper the night before !