POLL Reducing Inbreeding in NI dogs Discussions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by arctic.wolf, Oct 1, 2008.

?

they way forward for NI and Utes

Poll closed Oct 31, 2008.
  1. Do nothing,the gene pool large and there are no health problems.

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Do nothing, let the breed decline and die out

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. Add more 'Northern Breeds' (mongrels)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Add Malamute, Sibe, GSD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Add wolf, OK so not really an option.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Add Czech or Sarloos, or crosses of these

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. All factions NI, BID, Utes and unregistered breeders get together with a genetics expert

18 vote(s)
    38.3%
  8. stop all breeding for the time being

24 vote(s)
    51.1%
  1. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison

POLL Reducing Inbreeding in NI dogs

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=93937

bear with me this is my second attempt at the anonymous poll

Reducing Inbreeding In NI dogs

Following the Jeff Sampson talk on ' Genetics and The Dangers of Inbreeding'

How do NI and Ute owners feel about inbreeding and the way forward for our dogs?

I have not started this thread to have a go at NI dogs or any faction, side or breeder, I would just like to know the views of all NI owners and their views on reducing inbreeding.

IMO the options for the breed are,

1 Do nothing, the genepool is large and there are no health problems caused by inbreeding.

2. Do nothing, although the genepool is small and there are health problems, the breed will naturally decline and disappear through natures own ways of reducing inbreeding, smaller litters, monorchidism, infertile dogs, genetic diseases.

3. Add more 'Northern Breeds' (mongrels) that have a Wolfy look about them but are not from health tested lines. This would add a lot of new genes to the pool but they may not all be good.

4. Add Malamute, Sibe, GSD or any pedigree breeds that have a vague Wolfy look. But then accept that the progeny will not be to breed standard, unless the standard is changed to accept the traits that adding these breeds will bring.

5. Add wolf, OK so not really an option.

6. Add Czech or Saarloos, or crosses of these breeds, as these dogs already have the correct look.

7. All factions NI, BID, Utes and unregistered breeders get together with a genetics expert, sort out which dogs are worth breeding from, drop the name Inuit, choose a more appropriate name, and start again with a well researched breeding plan. (But this is probably as likely as option 5)

8. Stop all breeding for the time being, thank you for this one Louise13, ALL breeding on hold for the time being..until the breed can be sorted out and find a way forward I don't think any pups should be bred
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    At last the poll has worked, hopefully now we will get more opinions now that it is annonymous.
  4. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Well I have voted for number 8
  5. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Can't see the poll:?:
  6. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison

LOL

thanks for voting
  7. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Forget that my comp is being slow, I can see it now:mrgreen:
  8. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison

that's a relief I thoght for a minute it had gone

please ignore any spelling mistakes i my posts, I am blaming my keyboard lol
    need to get a new kyboard today
  9. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    No worries, mine has most of the letters rubbed off (overuse perhaps!) so it happens here too.
  10. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Sorry Ali, I came on with a view to answer your poll but I cannot answer. The reason being I feel there are some double-barreled choices, and the ones that are not I believe are not relevant to my breed, IMO. Also the list you have given below does not match the list on the poll, the wording is different, to me that makes all the difference. I know you don't want to have a go at any of the groups ref this thread neither do I but I think that Utes and BIDs have their own goals. To me that has nothing to do with the NID.
  11. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison

Hi Nes, sorry the wording is different, when I tried to do my poll the wording I used in my original post had too many characters to put on the options in the poll. (think that is why my first attempt at the poll didn't work) I couldn't edit the post either so I had to do a cut down version of the post for the poll, that's why the wording is different, nothing intentional.

I know that there may be more options available for NI dogs, I only put my own ideas forward and was hoping others would come forward with more, Louise13 suggested option 8 so I added that one. I included Utes and BID as they all started off as NI and have NI dogs in their lines, although they are different breeds now.

I realise that some people don't want to post their views on a forum for all to see, that was the idea of the poll.

If anyone can post a better poll can they please put one on, even if it is only for NI dogs and NI owners, I really won't be offended if there is another (improved) NI poll.

btw my keyboard seems a lot better now, think I must have spilt my coffee on it this morning lol
  12. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    oops thought the poll had ended

any last minute votes
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2008
  13. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    is there any point really? is anyone going to listen or do anything about it?

is the bred still bred to look like a wolf? or have they changed that now?
  14. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    yes there is a point, in that some breeders (Tida, Ute and Independent) are trying to improve the inbreeding problems in these type of dogs.

the anonymous poll gives a voice to NI owners who are reluctant to speak out openly about their concerns

more breeders are now are planning to do something about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2008
  15. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    I dont mind saying I voted for the last option. Not on a permenant basis but until the health implications are sorted and then using only dogs that have passed rigourous testing.
    I'm a realist though and I know its not going to happen whilst people are making money on the backs of the poor ill pups.
  16. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    number 2 for me
  17. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    Thank you for voting everyone,

option 8 the clear winner

IMO the overwhelming result is that there were only 2 votes for option 1, and 18 votes for option 7. So IMO a large proportion of voters would like to see all factions working together.