Portuguese Water Dog owners RL experience Discussions

Discussion in 'Portuguese Water Dog' started by DavidC, Jun 29, 2011.

1. DavidC

DavidC New Member

Name:
    David

Portuguese Water Dog owners RL experience

I would really like to hear an real life opinions of those who have PWD's as family pets. What their temperament is like, what little habits they have. Their good and bad sides!

Any pics would be a bonus of course. :023: (Especially of non-lion cut.)

I've read plenty about them on the internet, but there's nothing like hearing from real people and their experiences.

Thanks,
    David
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Well David, you will sadly not hear to many stories as with them being quite rare not many people have experience of them, but I do have a friend with one, and they are the breed for me, (next time round)

First they are a medium sized breed, that is very active, very intelligent and can be also a bit stubborn, not in as bad way, but they seem to have this thoery of ... do I have to do that , OK make me.

They love water, obviously, they will seek it out, so be prepared to have a wet dog if you have water near by.

They are incredible retrievers, and will always have something in their mount either bringing it to you , or pinching it, then bringing it back.

My friend says Rupert is a thief, (big style) but what he pinches he has to bring to you to show you.

They are incredible social dogs, they love everyone and everything, they will enjoy as much exercise you can give them .

the coat will need to be trimmed every 6/8 weeks to keep it in a somewhat tidy state, they dont get to tangled much, and dry of well,

A fabulous breed to own, my friends is a clown, he is a happy little chappy, always up to mischief, he loves gardening :lol: and helping with the planting... they put then in, he takes them out, and brings them to be re-planted.

Rupert has a companion clip, this consists of the face , down the back of the legs/backside, and his tail clipped out, then rest is kept to about 4/5 inches around his body, it more for cleanliness , than anything

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoy, and hope you experience the breed firsthand.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2011
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Judith Owens Poole in Ireland (Fircroft) breeds PWD and shows hers and competes with one in Working Trials, it has CDex UDex WDex if I remember rightly.
  5. DavidC

DavidC New Member

Name:
    David
    Thanks for the in depth reply, I appreciate you taking the time.

Regarding cuts, I understand the reason for the Lion cut, but I don't look it, I think it looks a bit bizarre.

I quite like the companion and retriever cut. Shown on >this< page is nice, and apparently a bit easier to manage.

But I like the pictures that I've seen where the muzzle still has hair, rather than shaved short. I really like this one, but it might be the curly coat, and I think a lot of what makes it look good are the Irish markings.
    [​IMG]

And these 2 look rather good, not sure what their cut is though, any ideas?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

David
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    The cut on the ones you have posted are "companion" the same as the one I posted, but without the face trim.

You wont find many with a lot of white marking son here is the UK, (a few) they are more sort after in the US, and I was told they (US) have compromised on temperament in the pursuit of flashy markings.

If you go round the show rings you will see a few flashy, but mostly black with the odd Brown.

Personally I love the lion clip, it sets them apart and makes them look like the breed they are supposed to be, but every one to their own ;-)
  7. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    You could always ask Barack! (spelling?)

Richard Curtis had one called Disco that he used in heelwork to music routines.
  8. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Disco was lovely when I met her! :grin: I was also chuffed to bits when a friend's PWD won Best of Breed at Crufts this year. I think they're lovely dogs - but beware, you'll get people in the street thinking it's a Labradoodle :lol:
  9. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Yep, or a poodle, my friend is forever explaining he is NOT a LD or Poodle:lol:
  10. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Yes but I get this with my Kerries too! This is the "curse" of having an unusual breed with a curly coat!
  11. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    SWD, IWS and Lagotto etc owners get the same.
  12. walkiespetcare

walkiespetcare New Member

Name:
    sharon
    I am a dog walker and I walk a PWD everyday. He has just turned 1.

Temprement is fab, so happy, always carrying things in his mouth, is very energetic and very clever too, this one is black but his owners are getting him a sister in september and hoping to get a brown one! I will have my hands full!

I did ask if it was a poodleX when I first saw it as a puppy!!!
  13. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    :blush: :blush: you will know better next time.

Love the Brown, but love the Black more;-)
  14. DavidC

DavidC New Member

Name:
    David
    Thanks a lot for the helpful replies so far. I didn't realise it is quite that rare in the UK. :shock:
  15. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    There is a gorgeous brown PWD at our local park that Dexter plays with regularly. In fact she looks a lot like the brown dog in the picture you have posted, minus the white mark.

She's the only one of this breed I've ever met but I must say she is ADORABLE. Very lively, playful, lovely and affectionate too. And her coat is sooo soft!

From what I recall, her owners had to go to a breeder a long way away to find her, but they all seem very happy :)
  16. DavidC

DavidC New Member

Name:
    David
    Well I guess we'll get to find out more first hand in a few weeks time. :)

Thanks again for the replies.

David
  17. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    My sister used to work at a show kennel who bred the Cartmel PWD and Beardies. I will ask her how she found their temperaments etc ... although we are going back about 20 years :shock: so may not be relevant now.
  18. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I think you're going to get very used to saying "No, it's not a Labradoodle!". :lol:

He's very cute btw, looking forward to the pics. :D
  19. DavidC

DavidC New Member

Name:
    David
    We have had him less than 2 weeks, and we are already getting bored of telling people he's not labradoodle! Even someone who had a Labradoodle thought he was one. I think soon we'll just start saying 'yes he is'. :lol:

[​IMG]
    Marco learning fetch by David.Coleman, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Wow, he is gorgeous. Particularly love the second photo of him.

Helen
  21. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Gorgeous! :049: