Potty training! Questions

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Tara13n, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Tara13n

Tara13n New Member

Name:
    Tara

Potty training!

Help! I have a 6 month old female long hair german shepherd who is still not potty trained! I take her out once an hr when I am home and have tried to teach her to go to the door when she needs to be let out. She is in a crate when I’m at work and never pottys when she is in the crate. The main issue is I leave her out in my room when I am sleeping because I don’t want her to have to be in a crate all the time but she pees and poops all over the bedroom! She doesn’t try to wake me when she needs to go out, I’ve also tried setting alarms to wake up and take her out every 2 hrs but as soon as we come back in and I lay back down she’ll use the bathroom. Help!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    How long is she in her crate when you are at work, and is it every day?
  4. Tara13n

Tara13n New Member

Name:
    Tara
    I work 12 hr shifts so I’m on a rotating schedule, I have someone who lets her out for me every 3 hrs. I work nights.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Tara13n likes this.
    When they take her out during the day are the giving her enough time to go?
    When you take her out are you making sure she goes before bringing her back in?

Does she have a feeding routine? Can you spot when she is about to go and whisk her out? You will need to go back to basics and devoting time to spend a watchful eye on her, use a key word so that she associates that word with trying to go. Take her out on a lead and if she doesn't go after a few minutes go back in and try again in half an hour or sooner.

Be sure to clean where she goes with an enzyme cleaner or vinegar and water.