Pridominatly white GWP Breeders? General Chat

Discussion in 'German Wirehaired Pointer' started by one.eyed.dog, Aug 28, 2012.

1. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie

Pridominatly white GWP Breeders?

Was at a game fayre in Cheshire at the weekend and I got chatting to a chap with a GWP pup. It was totaly white with a brown head and a couple of very dark patches on his bum. We got chatting as I had my GWP with me.

I asked which breeder he got him from and he said a game keeper in South Wales who made you prove you could work a dog and were going to work it before he sold him the pup. It was a 1 off litter.

Anyway. My question is. Which breeders breed the white ones as I really like them but, thought they were more of an American thing.

Eric (the pup) had a lovely face. The same sort of expressions as my Lottie and the devil in his eye like my girl. Thats why I was so taken.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Spook from the Andsal kennels is not dissimilar to that. I was really tempted to get a pup from him from the breeder that bred my Slovak, but wisely thought against it!
  4. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
  5. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I have a friend who has a predominantly white GWP, will try and find out her breeding.

I think it's quite frowned upon in the UK, you wont see many of them about and start speaking to GWP folk and not alot like predominantly white, as you say, it's a US preference.

I actually quite like mainly white GWP's, and GSP's come to think of it.

Found a picture of Ann and Lottie, with her KC name:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thekennelclub/5550055467/
  6. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    Spook has that look. It's a look my dog has in her eye. Can't discribe it though. I really like the white one's.
    Will check out the breeers websites.

The other thing I want is BIG. Some GWP's are a bit on the small side. Mind you. They do seem to be the Irish ones.
  7. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    I know Benreeda has/had a white one. She is in Aberdeen. Not my cup of tea though.

Remember wires are a medium sized hunting breed so doesn't want to be too big. When i was showing mine about 5 years ago, they were very big then so they must have gone the other way, but suspect the reason behind it.

Helen
  8. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    I've only ever seen one predominantly white (GSP, GWP's are very rare here) one in the flesh. she was gorgeous... and deaf
  9. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    Are'nt all GWP's deaf ??????????????????????????/ Ha ha

My Lottie is big for a bitch but, is dwarfed by my pals male. Her other male is big too.

I like to be able to touch my dogs head without having to bend down.
  10. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    When I attended the GWP Meet the Breed Day a couple of years ago, I do remember thinking that there seemed to be some seriously oversized dogs about, far too big for what the breed should be IMO.

The breed standards says between 23.5 and 26.5 inches tall (why not just round the number up or down?) and between 25-34kg for males. I always think Flynn is fairly small but he stands 25" tall and is 32kg so (even though he isnt full GWP) correct for breed standard. For the work they do, you really wouldnt want them any larger, surely?
  11. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Is your Slovak an Andsal dog?
  12. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Sally has never bred any Slovaks, apart from the accidental mating which produced Flynn's litter, and then she sold the dog on.

I see Spook shares some common ancestors with Flynn. I also notice he has Bryantscroft Wigeon in his pedigree. I remember Rory Major himself telling me that Wigeon was a poor hunter (we were discussing Flynn's pedigree), I wonder how Spook fares.
  13. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Spook hasn't produced any pups for absolutely ages, perhaps he's been moved on?
  14. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    No, Maxine. Her breeder used Spook on one of his GWP's a couple of years ago. Like I said, I was sorely tempted but thought better of it. One nutter is enough :lol:
  15. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    You were considering a GWP as well as your Slovak? That sounds like quite a challenge!
  16. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I like a challenge. :mrgreen: In all honestly I can't afford another one so three is my limit for the forseeable future.
  17. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    3. Bluddy hell. I can only cope with 1. Actually, I like the idea of 2 but, in reality, when we are on my bed curled up in front of the TV I think. This would'nt be the same with 2. I do like the 1 to 1 we have. She is a total mummies girl. Just a nutter as well. Think Animal from the muppets. That was the first thing that came into my head when I 1st set eyes on her. She's 2nd hand.
  18. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I'm sure i've probably asked you this before, is Bo's breeder related to spectacles?
  19. SarahJade

SarahJade New Member

Name:
    SJ
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
  20. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    I can't post pictures or I'd put one on. Spent ages trying last night.
  21. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    [​IMG][/IMG]

It worked.

My 2nd hand GWP Potty Lottie. AKA Fleabag.