Problem in his legs? General Chat

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Yamil Lasso, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Yamil Lasso

Yamil Lasso New Member

Name:
    Odin

Problem in his legs?

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kurt Burke

Kurt Burke New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    Breeds like these tend to develop hip issues, a collar or harness that pulls the dog anywhere other than from it's center of gravity will exacerbate this problem every time the dog walks.

Also, the nature of the contact fabric is important, junk harnesses made of substandard materials rub on sensitive areas, overheat the dog, and will absolutely affect its gait.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @Kurt Burke Maybe it is me that is looking at the videos the wrong way, but this puppy seems to have more of a problem with his front legs than his hind assembly. Surely 12 weeks is a little bit young to have developed a hip issue, or some other problem caused by a poor quality harness.

To @Yamil Lasso In my opinion Puppy Odin seems to have rather weak pasterns, giving him a flat foot action, like a younger puppy than 12 weeks. This may correct over the next couple of weeks, but I would ask for a vet's opinion if they don't start to strengthen soon. In the meantime, I would not allow him to run around on any shiny floors, - a carpet will help him by giving him more grip. Do not do too much exercise until he starts come up onto his toes - just an occasional 5 minutes to give him time to get used to a collar, or harness, and lead. Free running/play on grass or carpet is fine though.
  5. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Does he walk the same way on grass and carpeted areas?

Shiny floors aren't good for dogs. I'd be tempted to put a big rug down over that area.

I'd let your vet check him out just in case.
  6. Yamil Lasso

Yamil Lasso New Member

Name:
    Odin
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hello everyone, thank you so much for your time, Odin has vet check tomorrow, I'll let you know what does the vet say, He seems to be a really active pup, I haven't seen how he walks in grass because his vaccine plan is not completed yet, so meanwhile I'll let him walk in carpet to avoid slip in shiny floor, initially the vet said that is too soon to say if has hip or legs problems, maybe is lack of strength in his legs, let's hope everything goes well with this pup :) Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Good luck at the vet's. I don't think there will be much wrong with him. Like children, puppies develop at different rates.
  8. Kurt Burke

Kurt Burke New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    CaroleC likes this.
    No, it is me who missed the part where the dog is 12 weeks, I should have noticed this and modified my comment to include congenital issues. Thanks for giving this the attention it deserves.

Best,
    Kurt
  9. Megan Dacus

Megan Dacus New Member

Name:
    Megan
    Hi! Checking in to see what your vet said. We are having the same issue with our Frenchie.