Puppies ear, can you tell how big they will be? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by arctic.wolf, Dec 12, 2007.

1. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison

Puppies ear, can you tell how big they will be?

Now this may sound like a really stupid question, can you tell on a puppy how big the ears are going to end up? If the dogs ears are standing straight up at a young age (say 5-6 weeks) are they likely to stay small, if they are still folded half up and down are they more likely to be GSD style ears.
    I remember from having gsd pups that they go up and down a bit before finally staying up.

I know this may sound like I have finally lost the plot, just curious
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Its a good theory but doesn't always turn out that way.

I think the best way to tell is that if you hold the ear's up and look at them in proportion to the size of the head that is a better indicator. If the ears are very large in comparrisson to the head then they will always be a little larger than those who's ears look more in proportion to the size of the head.

Thats just my experience anyway.
  4. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Interesting

I always think Malamute and GSD ears are always HUGE hence the expression "they will grow into their ears eventually" BUT then GSD ears "are" large whereas Mal ears are smaller

Ears take a while to go up because sometimes they are heavy (thick fur).. it took Cruiser ages for his ears to go up as he has very furry ears..
    They go up and down with teething too
  5. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    I always think if the ears are big and up when they are young they will grow into them lol
  6. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    I thought that with Angel but he never did!!
  7. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    :grin: well Sapphires looked small at first, then they seemed to grow out of proportion to her head, then she grew into them and they seemed to fit her head again :grin: