Puppy advice General Chat

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Natalie89, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Natalie89

Natalie89 New Member

Name:
    Natalie

Puppy advice

Hi

I am looking for opinions from frenchie owners please

I am currently researching getting a french bulldog puppy, I am aware there are a lot of dodgy breeders out there and want to avoid them. I’ve never owned a dog before I’ve read the general advice of getting a KC registered pup and never buy a pup if you can’t see the mum and also I will want to see health tests etc.. is there any thing else to be aware of ?

I am not interested in any of the rare colours and have read they are most likely to have the health problems? Not sure how true this is. I would like a fawn pup.

I live on my own so all responsibility will be on me i work from home so will be home every day of the week mon-fri however I do go out with friends occasionally for dinner/ drinks and am wondering if this will be an issue ? I have heard this breed is prone to separation anxiety. Anyone with any advice on this ?

I am concerned about the potential health issues.. anything you read online seems to be quite negative even seeing articles with vets warning potential owners off. Any advice around this? I will not be buying any pup without seeing the Relevant health check Certs etc. Also another one .. do all frenchies snore ??

Any advice will be really appreciated thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi Natalie,
    The trouble with French Bulldogs is that they became massively popular over a short period. Less skilled breeders jumped on the bandwagon and paid more attention to producing so called 'rare' colours than healthy puppies. These more accurately 'not recognised' colours are usually diluted, and particularly the blues can be prone to skin and coat problems.
    Other health problems relate to the flat nose of most of the brachycephalic breeds. This has led to contorted airways, leading to the snorting which indicates breathing problems, (BOAS). Quite a few of the ultra short nosed breeds need to have surgery to open their airway. The wrinkled nose can also mean that these skin folds need frequent cleaning and moisturizing to prevent skin problems.
    Frenchies are a loving and comical breed and it is easy to see why they have become so popular. To prevent separation anxiety, you will need to accustom your puppy to being alone right from the start by gradually increasing the length of time that he spends alone.
    If you decide to go ahead, do choose your breeder carefully and be prepared to wait for the right puppy. Have a look at The French Bulldog Club of England, this is the parent club for the UK and their members will have signed that they will abide to the club's code of ethics.
    www.frenchbulldogclubofengland.org.uk
    You may have a long wait for the right puppy. Prices were already extortionate before lockdown, and have continued to rise during this period. When shows resume and the breeding plans of conscientious breeders return to normal, it is likely that prices will stabilise. Alas, there are also likely to be additional youngsters in rescue.