Puppy bite Questions

Discussion in 'Lagotto Romagnolo' started by Loulou124, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Loulou124

Loulou124 New Member

Name:
    Louise

Puppy bite

Hi there

I'm not sure if anyone is still using this forum but I'm searching for some help

I have a Lagotto pup, 19 weeks old. She has developed a undershot jaw very notable from about 15 wks.
    My question is do you think there is any hope of it improving? When do they stop growing??

Thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Louse - what does your vet say about your puppy's jaw and have you contacted her breeder? I am afraid I do not know anything about the breed so am unable to help you but maybe someone far knowledgeable than I will have some advice.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and GsdSlave like this.
    This is not a breed I'm familiar with but a quick google search has shown that they seem to be a lovely breed.

That search also says that an undershot jaw is not uncommon and to a mild degree is accepted under the breed standard. However, as you say it's 'notable' then I agree with Juli that your vet and the pup's breeder is the best place to go to for more info.

It would be lovely to see pictures of your pup x
  5. Loulou124

Loulou124 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Thanks for replying.
    I haven't been to vet, breeder is going to come and see her tonight, but she is a novice breeder so unsure of her knowledge too.

I think I know she will not improve but I'm looking if anyone has had experience of this.
  6. Loulou124

Loulou124 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Malka likes this.

Attached Files:

7. Loulou124

Loulou124 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Here are a few pics, she doesn't sit still long enough to get a good photo.

She is our first Lagotto and if she is typical of the breed, they are great family dogs.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    GsdSlave likes this.
    What a lovely puppy! :049:

I see what you mean about the noticeable undershot jaw as it shows in the second photograph, but if her breeder does not know much about the breed then I would definitely check with your vet.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and GsdSlave like this.
    Not Lagottos, but I do have a lot of experience in toy breeds in which the arrival of their permanent dentition can be a time of disappointment. I'm sorry to say that I think there is very little chance of your puppy's top jaw ever growing enough to meet the lower one. However, as long as you were not sold the puppy as a show prospect, it will have very little effect on her daily life as a pet dog, and she should still be able to eat normally. Check with your vet that the way her jaws meet is not going to cause a problem, but it is unlikely that there is anything he would be able do to correct it.
    Of course, a noticeably undershot bitch should not be bred from as she is very likely to produce puppies with the same fault.
  10. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    She's lovely bless her. As Carole says, an undershot jaw rarely causes problems unless you were hoping to show, but as you say she's a wonderful family dog, I hope that means you will just continue to love her for what she is - beautiful x
  11. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I'd say it would likely not correct itself. Were you planning to show? If not i wouldn't worry about it. Ince had dogs with great bites develop undershot and those with slight undershot that correct.