Puppy CKCS food advice please Diet

Discussion in 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' started by feater, Jan 16, 2009.

1. feater

feater New Member

Name:
    Sue

Puppy CKCS food advice please

Hi
    I'm new to this site and have a 3 month odl CKCS called Molly. She has a very dodgy stomach and has constant runny toilet habits.. anyone have any idea of the best food to feed her.. Tried Royal Cannin but this was what she was on when I got her and didn't seem to be doing her any favours.. now trying Chappies but I think it's not suitable for puppies is this right?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Trixybird

Trixybird New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    Hi I have two CKCS who both are fed on Burns, they are both 3 years old now and I can honestly say we rarely have any problems with this feed.

Good luck x
  4. feater

feater New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Thanks, I'll try and find some.. is this suitable for puppies also?
  5. Trixybird

Trixybird New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    Yes i think it was Mini Bites they had initially x

( I just checked the website for you and it is called Mini Bites )
  6. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie New Member

Name:
    Michelle
    Hi I have just joined and I own two ckcs I feed mine on James wellbeloved. Both mine do well on this never had a dodgy tum on it. Its easier to get hold of than Burns both of which are very good choice.

Michelle
  7. Heather and Zak

Heather and Zak New Member

Name:
    heather
    I have a 5 month CKCS he is fed on James Wellbeloved and he is fine on it plus his coat is lovely and shiny.
  8. zoby

zoby New Member

Name:
    ma
    My ckcs loved Arden Grange but I found it difficult to get on a regular basis. In the last 6 months I have switched to JWB and she is doing great on it.

Rogue had a really sensitive tum as a pup too. My vet told me to feed her rice and chicken until everything firmed up! then to introduce the new food gradually - it took a couple of weeks but thankfully she never looked back.
  9. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    You could try Pero very palatable & there's an offer on at the moment for a trial bag that will last a Cavalier puppy for a good while
  10. TEDCAV

TEDCAV New Member

Name:
    Kathy
    My older Cav Ted used to have terrible gut probs until I moved him onto James Wellbeloved. He's a lot better on that. As he is very lively and does obedience, I have him on the junior version, even though he is 6, but that has really worked. The young un is on it too
  11. feater

feater New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Thank you everyone. Been off with Molly for 2 days as she was poorly. She was throwing up, running stools, soiling her bed and wouldn't touch her food.. would normally eat your hand off to get to bowl so knew something was up! Anyway vet has now done some blood work and am waiting for results.. her symtoms remind me of IBS and this is something that vet is now looking at. She was starved for 24 hours and now she is on Chicken and rice till results are back so she now has me cooking 3 meals a day and making up pate for her Kong toy! Have been given probiotics also and this seems to be working fantastically well as all firm today! Yipeeee.. never thought I would be this happy about a puppies poop! lol
  12. Inca

Inca New Member

Name:
    Mrs G
    what pate are you making up for her kong ?

i am glad the vet has done tests it does sound more like a bacterial problem that a feeding one
  13. feater

feater New Member

Name:
    Sue
    I think so too as didn't matter what i tried and after 1 sachet she was firm! Miracle after nearly 2 months of ...well you get the gist.

It's just boiled rice and fried meat (add water to pan after meat is remove and use the liquid for blending) then blended and stuck in the fridge. She loves it and it's a lot firmer than the paste stuff so it's harder to lick and takes more time to get to it.
  14. Inca

Inca New Member

Name:
    Mrs G
    if it is bacterial as a breeder i would like to know incase the rest of the litter have it
  15. feater

feater New Member

Name:
    Sue
    She's been like this since I got her and it wasn't mentioned to me by the breeder. The day I brought her home she went 4 of 5 times that night.. at first I thought it was just her settling in. Breeder must have known about it before I got her.....
  16. Inca

Inca New Member

Name:
    Mrs G
    I am not suggesting she knew what i'm saying is the others could be effected as well ..wait for the results to come back

are you in touch with her breeder
  17. feater

feater New Member

Name:
    Sue
    I can get in touch with her once I find outwhat it is but to be honest I dont' see how she couldn't have noticed a problem. This is the first dog I've had since I was a child and I knew something was up the first week and got her straight to vets.