Puppy food General Chat

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Lisa 1, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Lisa 1

Lisa 1 New Member

Name:
    Lisa

Puppy food

Hi we’ve just got our staffy pup 8weeks 4days old he’s currently on raw food an we are looking to change him onto dry food any recommendations please.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I'm not sure where you are located, so recommendations may not all be available to you.

Did the breeder mention any specific reason for feeding a raw diet? Allergies, etc? You may want to ask before switching.

Barring any specific needs, I feed my dogs Kirkland brand (Costco). It's good quality at a good price.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Lisa 1 likes this.
    Is there any specific reason why you do not want to continue feeding your puppy on raw food?
  5. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Lisa 1 and Toedtoes like this.
    Not to contradict @Toedtoes but I’m not so sure that Kirkland Brand from Costco is good quality. I remember reading ingredients list in their dog kibble and was not impressed at all. I can’t remember off the top of my head what I didn’t like, but I do remember thinking I would never feed it to my dogs. I think it had some low quality ingredients, fillers
  6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    No worries @who owns who - everyone has their own experience with dog food and every dog has it's own requirements/issues.

For me, kirkland offers a good quality food in a low price (under $30 for 40lbs of chicken and rice, slightly higher for lamb and rice). Other than one recall in the early teens, that included most all dog food brands, they have not have any recalls since at least 2009. For me, that is important. Some companies cheap out on the manufacturing of their "high quality" ingredients creating more recalls.

I will also say that having fed all my dogs on it for about 30+ years, my dogs have never had a health issue due to diet. They have all been fit and healthy and lived long happy lives. Even my Moose-dog who had a sensitive stomach did great on kirkland.

My final reason for liking Kirkland is because it's not a P&G company. I really don't like Proctor & Gamble's animal testing policies and have seen them buy up quality independent companies and turn the product to garbage.

Here is an analysis of the kirkland. It gets high marks even at it's lower cost.
    https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/kirkland-signature-dog-food/
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Chris, Lisa 1 and GsdSlave like this.
    @Lisa 1 I would stay on the food that the breeder has been using for at least a few weeks yet. It is enough of a disturbance for a young puppy, leaving mum and siblings and learning new routines.
    When your puppy is fully settled in, you can start reducing the amount of meat and making up the amount by adding increasing amounts of kibble to his dish.
    Is your Staffie a blue? You may know that the blues are more prone to skin problems and I wonder whether this is why the breeder is a raw feeder. If so, I would pick a grain free kibble, and avoid the common allergens, like chicken.
  8. Lisa 1

Lisa 1 New Member

Name:
    Lisa
    Thanks all for your reply

no health reasons he’s on raw food just so they got more nutrients she’s said her older dogs were on dry food. my reason for changing is I just can’t do the raw food our last dog had allergies so am well aware of these. Just that it’s been since have a pup an wonder if anyone had any thought on different brands of an wet food best for a young pup.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Raw feeding is not for everyone so if you cannot manage to continue it nobody will think bad of you. If you are in the US I can recommend a couple of brands of dehydrated raw food, one of which you just add warm water so it is like wet food, both of which are available from Chewy's or Amazon. I am a raw feeder but have always kept some dehydrated for use in emergencies, and would be happy to feed it all the time if I were unable to continue with raw.
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    If you are in the UK, have a look at the All About Dog Food site.
    www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk
    If you are searching for wet food, refine your search or you will be swamped with info - there are thousands of brands on there. Full analysis and a % nutrition rating are given too.
  11. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    In the UK, Butchers is a good tinned food. There are also plenty of decent quality dry foods available. It really does depend on which country you live in in respect of recommendations
  12. josh123

josh123 New Member

Name:
    josh clarke
    why you changing him off raw?