Puppy for adoption; help me try to figure out his breed! ID this breed/mix

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Cadi, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Cadi

Cadi New Member

Name:
    Cadi

Puppy for adoption; help me try to figure out his breed!

Hey guys! So I have been helping out a humane shelter that just rescued a few puppies. I haven't seen the puppies yet but one of the volunteers sent me a picture of one and I am hoping you guys can help me out!

[​IMG]

When I get a chance to drop buy I will try to get better pictures. So far all I can tell is that s/he might end up being a bit on thE fuzzy side, long or medium coat perhaps? Maybe a bit of a collie mix considering the rose ears? Not sure about how big he will get either. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    Too hard to tell from that picture. Collie something!
  4. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Looks a bit like a rough coated collie type to me, but then puppies change so much I could well be wrong
  5. Ginge2602

Ginge2602 New Member

Name:
    Anne
    What a beautiful dog! As all puppies are or we would kill them! Looks part collie to me for sure.
  6. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I've had collies, and I can definitely see collie there.

I do hope he finds a good home.
  7. Cadi

Cadi New Member

Name:
    Cadi
    So I have spoken to the people at the shelter and they claim the mom is a labrador mix! I would NOT have guessed! I still see collie in him as well! I will get better pictures of him on Saturday and well...I am thinking of adopting him. I was wondering if there is a way to see what level of energy a dog will have when still a puppy? I prefer medium to low energy since I live with my elderly parents.
  8. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    With that colouring and coat length I'm always certain there is collie in there and if you need a medium to low energy dog then I would leave this little one. Mum may have been a lab mix...a lab mixed with collie ...and dad could be a collie mix....and there you have quite a collie puppy. Better to look for something your more sure has lower energy levels than end up with a bundle of energy you can't cater for.
  9. Cadi

Cadi New Member

Name:
    Cadi
    Catrinsparkles, I asked to see the mother and asked about current levels for the puppies. He isnt the most hyperactive of the litter but supposedly is the most biddable or easiet to train according to them. The calmest puppy of the litter has seperation anxiety and I would rather deal with the higher energy than the wailing whenever Im not around.

How much exercise does a lab require? I have access to a doggy daycare, can offer 2-3 30-45 min walks a day and I am definitely planning on clicker training; the main reason I am getting a dog is because I want to get into training for tricks (especially scent games) and obedience. I also wouldn't mind a dog to join me on my Couch-to-5k training program, which would replace one of the dog walks when he is old enough, that way we both can build up our endurance together.

The only thing I worry about is that it gets VERY hot here some days (45-50 Cel) even in the evenings! Which is where interactive toys and the clicker training comes in - tire their brains out and all. I heard that a good training session can drain a dog faster than a 2 hour hike? Hopefully with good recall training I can also take him to the beach at least once a week (15 min drive) and I would love to teach the dog to catch a frisbee. Aside from doggy daycare my sister has a French Bulldog and a cousin has a pitbull/staffy mix that they can bring to play whenever needed. Is this enough or do I need more?

I do NOT want a lazy dog; the Frenchie annoyed me because he was pooped out from a 15 min walk; I am trying to be active so I want a dog that encourages me and holds me accountable, not one that tempts me back onto the couch!
  10. Cadi

Cadi New Member

Name:
    Cadi
    I was just sent some more pics, including litter-mates if it would help clarify:

[​IMG]

And:

[​IMG]
  11. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    They are all extremely cute!

I think that amout of exercise sounds ok but it just depends. I have just started a dog walking business and my first client is a collie, she has a 30 minute off lead run in the morning, the same at night and a five mile off lead walk midday...and she would take more.

The clicker training would be fantastic...it's is for any dog.

I suppose you cannot be sure at all but it sounds like you have considered it a lot.
  12. Laurabehjet

Laurabehjet New Member

Name:
    I have a working line collie.
    She's no more active than any other dog particularly....
    No couch potato but certainly doesn't need 24/7 constant stimulation.

Bear in mind aswell, medium and large puppies including Labradors and collies should only be walked 5 minutes per month of age to protect their joints.
    So, a 12 week puppy would only need a 15 minute walk per day.
  13. Laurabehjet

Laurabehjet New Member

Name:
    I personally think the owner has conditioned this dog to need that amount of exercise.
    No way does a collie NEED a 30 minute run plus a 5 mile walk daily.
    sounds to me like the owner consistently gave the dog this level of exercise and now it goes stir crazy unless it gets at least that amount.
    A collie CAN run all day, but it doesn't NEED to IMO.
  14. Lynne

Lynne New Member

Name:
    Lynne
    Taffy has a 30 minute stroll in the morning - checking his P Mails. & then usually about 1 1/2 hours in the afternoon - sometimes running sometimes just ambling about. He's quite happy with either. If the weather is bad he's happy with just a quick 30 minutes or if I feel energetic he's happy to spend nearly all day running about. So he's definitely got an off switch when needed. We don't know we've got him in between walks - he's usually asleep :grin:
  15. Cadi

Cadi New Member

Name:
    Cadi
    Taffsmum and Laurabehjet, your posts have really eased my mind!

So what I have listed may be fine for such a mix? I do want a tired and happy dog, but I don't want to train him to be an energy monster either! I fully plan on encouraging a 'calm' default while indoors (kikopup has a great video on that on youtube.) I will be sure not to push him the first year however, and mainly focus on light play and training and go easy on his joints.
  16. Laurabehjet

Laurabehjet New Member

Name:
    Sounds fine to me :)
  17. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    The dog came to them at 13 months having had minimal exercise in its previous home and with some behavioural issues due to this. They upped the exercise and, gave her more company and stimulation in the day time and solved the issues.
  18. Laurabehjet

Laurabehjet New Member

Name:
    That's great to hear.
    But I still think the dog didnt really need THAT much exercise, do it no harm but I personally think its a bit excessive.
  19. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    A basic rule of thumb for exercising puppies is 5 mins lead walking per month of age. No more than twice a day.

If the puppy is part Labrador(don't see it myself)then lead walking exercise should be carefully monitored.

Dogs are creatures of routine & if you take the puppy on, then you can train the dog to your routine. All 6 of my collies have an off switch & lounge around when I need quiet. They often have a long lie in in a morning if I'm not feeling too good
  20. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    But if she enjoys walking it and the dog is thriving on it then there's no problem. I would rather see a dog like that than just getting used to having a lesser amount of exercise because its only walked for the least amount that can be got away with.

Obviously puppies need a lot less exercise but I think the op is being very sensible in looking to the future. Too many people get a puppy and think they are doing fine on the exercise front until the dog grows up and then they realise it's needing so much more exercise.
  21. TazJas

TazJas New Member

Name:
    Linda
    Really cute puppy, looks like he is going to be chunky :)
    Regarding exercise, we have a collie cross springer, both high energy breeds, ours is happy with two 30 minute walks a day, mainly offlead, where he plays fetch, scent games etc.
    He also does scent games in the house and has learnt to do many tricks, which he loves doing, and such things tire their brains out, and keep them happy.
    He settles well in the house and during the evening usually falls asleep, and is tired out around 7-8pm.
    Good luck and keep us updated please, also we need more pictures :mrgreen: