Question for handstrippers (LOL) Grooming

Discussion in 'Wire Fox Terrier' started by ooee, Nov 27, 2005.

1. ooee

ooee New Member

Question for handstrippers (LOL)

Sorry the title sounds a bit seedy :shock: :lol:

I'm wondering what's the best way to keep Archie warm this winter. It's FREEZING and the last couple of days he has been reluctant to leave the house and go on a walk. He NEVER does that!

He's fine when he's running, but if he's still he shivers and you can see he's very cold :(

I haven't handstripped for a couple of weeks so he can be a bit warmer... but today i have been thinking... should I actually just not rake undercoat as much but still HS the topcoat off?

What do you terrier owners do in the winter? Do you let them turn into fluffy monsters?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kerrie

Kerrie New Member

Name:
    kerrie
    buy him a hoody:)
  4. ooee

ooee New Member

5. marean

marean New Member

Name:
    Marie
    Aww bless him. I only have Harvey hand stripped twice a year. He was last done in Oct so not due again until April. So yes he does spend the winter montrhs with his more scruffy look :) .Although don't think he feels the cold as he is still going in the water to cool off on his walks :shock:
  6. Joanne

Joanne New Member

Name:
    Joanne
    tuti my ben has been doing exactly the same thing with the shivering. :-(

so I was thinking that I'm just going to leave him over the winter and let him have the 'au natural' look and then tidy him up in the spring.

think this would be best for him as if he's cold now he's bound to get colder if we have this extremly cold winter they've been predicting!!

at least there will be good before and after pictures next year!! :grin:
  7. ooee

ooee New Member

LOL jomcc :)

I might just have to put the stripping knives away.... for a couple more weeks :lol:

I'm not a huge fan of the 'au naturel' look, and I hate to think what Archie will look like in a couple of months. At the moment if I don't handstrip for 2 week he starts looking like a fluffy monster! :lol:
  8. Joanne

Joanne New Member

Name:
    Joanne
  9. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    All dogs shiver when they stand around in cold weather, so do we, its a natural response. I do not believe dogs need coats, especially working breeds of dogs like Terriers that have a double coat which is weatherproof. I would make exceptions for old dogs. I stripped all my 3 Borders out the week before my holiday and all were perfectly fine, including the 12yr old.

I realise many people think their dogs are cold, maybe its just me that thinks they dont need coats?
    Dawn.
  10. marean

marean New Member

Name:
    Marie
    I agree with you Borderdawn especially with the double coated breeds. I believe thats why Borders have such rough coats due to the harsh climates they were used for working in? I do know an Airedale who has one of these all in one coats which includes the legs!! Think its easier for the owner keeping the dog dry but not so sure for the dog particularly his street cred :blush: Some dogs run away in fear when they seem her coming :shock:
  11. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I dont mean it in any bad way if people put coats on their dogs, its just my personal opinion that dogs have coats and dont need more.
    Dawn.,
  12. strawboss

strawboss New Member

Name:
    Steve
    I've never handstripped Maya, just buzzed her with the electric clippers but I do
    let her coat grow out in the winter and trim around her eyes & mouth as needed

One thing we swear by is boots! If we take her out for any length of time without them at minus 10C or colder she shivers, lifting one paw at a time.
    But with what we call her "clown shoes" on she galumphs around very happily....
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2005
  13. ooee

ooee New Member

LOL that photo is great strawboss! :D

I think the booties are a great idea, their little pads must get freezing in the snow :(

Borderdawn this doesn't apply to Archie but to pups: yesterday was talking to the vet about that and she said that puppies don't regulate their body temperature very well so they need to be kept warm in winter. Ziggy wears a little jumper and doesn't shiver with it on. And he's got a hell of a coat despite being short and smooth haired - it's really thick!
  14. strawboss

strawboss New Member

Name:
    Steve
    Thanks, I used to use the fingers of my worn out workgloves but had trouble
    keeping them on, these are called "muttluks" & have knit sleeves w/velcro
    straps,I get some odd looks but they're more popular now esp with the road
    salt that irritates their pads
  15. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Yes Tuti, I can see the babes getting cold, they dont seem to know what extremes of temperature are do they. On the Animal cops programs, you sometimes see them out in the heat making no attempt to get in the shade. You keep Ziggy warm while he is a puppy, dont want a cutie like that poorly.
    Dawn.
  16. ooee

ooee New Member

Don't worry Dawn, Archie is keeping him warm for us ;)

[​IMG]
  17. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    That is the cutest pic!
    Dawn.
  18. ooee

ooee New Member

LOL thanks Dawn