Recommendations General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Mrs Jordiroo, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Mrs Jordiroo

Mrs Jordiroo New Member

Name:
    Jordan

Recommendations

Hello!! we are getting a puppy (Belgian shepherd cross) and I'm looking for toy and training recommendations. I will be getting a crate and he'll be sleeping under the stairs. Also any food recommendations Thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Toys
    I used to tie old socks in knots, or cut old jeans into strips and tie knots in them.
    Kongs, you can stuff them with treats, peanut butter or fill with yogurt cottage cheese ect: and freeze.
    Plastic Bottles I used to put few small biscuits in them, kept them busy for a while trying to get them out.Squeaky toys/balls

For the first few weeks I always had mine in big cardboard box beside my bed, so they could hear and see us, and could hang my hand nearby to reassure them if need be, I also put in a worn t-shirt /jumper to help them get used to my scent.
    Alarm set for every 2/3 hours for first week, working time up till they would whimper if they wanted to go. When they whined to go to the toilet it was a swift, out of the bed, outside for a wee/poo, No playing or fussing or anything else.

Teach little things. Like sitting before getting a meal/titbit, learning to look at you, getting used to collar and lead, how to play with toys. These are very basic fun things that help with bonding short 2 minute sessions a couple times a day with lots of play mixed in.
    Once he is a bit older you can start training classes.

I would keep him on the food he has been getting until settled in.
  4. Mrs Jordiroo

Mrs Jordiroo New Member

Name:
    Jordan
    Thank you! He's currently in Greece so hoping I will be able to get the same food. My husband works really early shifts so sleeps downstairs so not to wake the whole house up so he will be close by. I will definitely keep all of that in mind. I've started watching training videos and I'm getting things ready for him. :)
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    For training videos, do have a look at Kikopup. My personal favourites, she makes everything seem so simple.