Reputable Breeders for Temperament General Chat

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by Jayne Wheeler, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Jayne Wheeler

Jayne Wheeler New Member

Name:
    Jayne

Reputable Breeders for Temperament

Hi,
    I am in the early stages of looking for a reputable breeder of BC and I keep getting conflicting information. Every time I think I have found the perfect breeder, I find articles about how people wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!! I am primarily looking for a dog with a wonderful, gentle temperament but also possibly a Merle if I am lucky enough to get both my wishes.
    I live in the south east of England, but I am prepared to travel for the right dog. Can you more experienced owners please put forward names of breeders I can trust.
    TIA
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I may be wrong but I don't think we have any active Border Collie members at present. Rather than just leaving you hanging, here's my half pennyworth.
    I always advise propspective owners to consult the breed club. It is the best way to keep up to date with which health tests are available, and which breeders are using them. (I'm pretty sure that all the recommended health test and dna results can be downloaded from the Kennel Club - at least they can in my breed). Though there is research taking place into epilepsy, there is no test currently available for that. It might help you to narrow the field by looking based on what you are thinking of doing with your Collie, eg. obedience, breed show, or specific working tests.
    See the homepage, Border Collie Club of Great Britain, there is lots of info on there.
  4. Kim Lewis

Kim Lewis New Member

Name:
    Kim
    Jayne, I live in the United States but did some research online and found a wonderful breeder in North Carolina.