Rescue Mal Behavior Issues Behaviour

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Andrew Hill, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Andrew Hill

Andrew Hill New Member

Name:
    Andrew

Rescue Mal Behavior Issues

Hi guys. I posted earlier about the diet of my 2 year old mal. I wanted to ask another question. I adopted him from a non profit training facility. He was supposed to be a narcotic dog but he developed a startle factor. I have had him for almost 72 hours now. He does not know anything about houses and is marking everywhere inside. (I expected this from a rescue dog.) Also, he will not respond to his name or basic commands unless I have rewards. I’ve been consistently training him. Any thoughts? Also, will this get better over time or should I do something different?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    My instinct would be to allow him more time to settle in. If he is feeling anxious, he won't be listening to your commands anyway, as he will be over-stimulated by all the sights and sounds of his new environment - which will also be feeding his startle response.
    All of my 'second-hand' dogs have blanked us at first, and we find that unstructured walks, gentle play, and being generous with rewards, are the best way to build a level of trust, before carrying out any meaningful training. With an adult dog, it can take several weeks before a genuine bond begins to develop.
  4. Andrew Hill

Andrew Hill New Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Thank you for the response!!! That’s great. I know he is smart, and he is very affectionate. Do you think he will catch on with his name once he settles in? That is what I am most worried about.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    His whole world and routine has changed, different surroundings and people, some rescues settle quickly others can take time to adjust and bond with new owner. I wouldn’t try to rush things just take time in getting to know him and his personality and do fun things along with some training to help with bonding.

If he is marking all over the house I would be restricting his freedom and supervising very closely by keeping him in the same room with you so you can keep an eye on him.

As for responding to his name I would have him on lead and when you call him give lead a gentle tug, when he comes reward with food/toy or a game.
  6. tundraman

tundraman New Member

Name:
    phil
    The 3 Days, 3 Weeks, 3 Month Rule
    In the first 3 days,
    your new dog will be overwhelmed with his new surroundings. He will not be comfortable enough to be himself. Don’t be alarmed if he doesn’t want to eat for the first couple of days, many dogs don’t eat when they are stressed. He may shut down and want to curl up in his crate or under the table. He may be scared and unsure what is going on. Or he may be the opposite and test you to see what he can get away with, kind of like a teenager.

After 3 weeks,
    he’s starting to settle in, feeling more comfortable, and realizing this really may be his forever home. He has figured out his environment and getting into the routine that you have set. He lets his guard down and may start showing his real personality. Behavior issues may start showing, this is your time to be a strong pack leader and show him what is right and wrong.

After 3 months,
    your dog is now completely comfortable in his home. You have built trust and a true bond with your dog, which gives him a complete sense of security with you. He is set in his routine and will come to expect his dinner at his usual time.