Ridgeback or Black Mouth Cur? What breed is my dog? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by ashtucky, Oct 29, 2017.

?

Ridgeback or Black Mouth Cur

1. Ridgeback

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Black Mouth Cur

100.0%
  1. ashtucky

ashtucky New Member

Name:
    Ashleigh

Ridgeback or Black Mouth Cur? What breed is my dog?

Hey everyone!

I got our beautiful Clay just over a year ago from a family whose dog had a surprise pregnancy. They were giving out these pups for free as they had no financial position to take care of any so they needed immediate homing.

On the advertisement it said these pups were Catahoula. We spoke briefly to the breeder when we picked him up. They were quite sheepish as they knew what they were doing could be viewed wrongly. We discussed the mother and what breed she was, in which at the time I had no idea what a Catahoula was. They mentioned they had no idea what the father was, as she only had one other pup on her farm which was a boy who was desexed.

Upon bringing him home and looking up the breed we quickly came to the conclusion that he's definitely not a Leapord dog. We did not explore it much further until later when we saw striking resemblance between him and a Black Mouth Cur. Our only reservation is that we live in Australia and these dogs are native American. Other than that people honestly think he's a ridgeback.

What's your thoughts? FB_IMG_1509253083471.jpg FB_IMG_1509253094881.jpg FB_IMG_1509253109932.jpg IMG_20171029_133640.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome to the forum Ashleigh and beautiful Clay. To be honest, I would guess Gt. Dane cross, but it is hard to judge size in photos. I take it that you did not meet the mother - I wonder why not?
    To the best of my knowledge, we do not have Catahoula, (they are lovely looking hounds), or Black Mouthed Curs here in the UK, so I don't think I can be much help with your query, but perhaps another Aussie or an American will contribute to this thread.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Ashleigh and handsome Clay - Welcome to Breedia from Tikva and from me.

I tend to agree with @CaroleC about seeing some Great Dane in Clay, possibly some sort of Mastiff as well? but I have no idea what other breed/s are in his make-up.
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Iwhat a beautiful looking pooch
    I am absolutely no use telling you what breed you have, but, i have had a Great Dane in the past and as soon as I saw that gorgeous face that’s what sprung to mind. Maybe not a full breed Dane though
  6. jess j

jess j New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I have a bmc mix that is brindle in color, but Clay looks just like a bmc. The white chest gives it away and the black around the mouth and eyes, but might have another breed as well the muzzle is a little longer than usual are. How much does he weigh? My bmc is about 75-80 pounds.