Rita is not well again (update post #36) Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by manydogz, Sep 3, 2014.

1. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)

Rita is not well again (update post #36)

Last night Rita would not eat her dinner. It was a very nice pot roast sprinkled with garlic. All day today she has been lethargic and shaky the few times she stood up. She mostly just laid in one spot in the kitchen. I could only get her to eat 4 tiny bits of sausage tonight. No hacking. Heart sounds the same as usual. I'm stumped.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Come on darling little Rita - we are still praying for you. Please try to come back to us nice and healthy.

[Debra - check on Dogsey for a thread marked FAO manydogz - only you will be able to see if]
  4. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    @Malka saw the thread but it took me a bit to figure out how to search for a particular thread.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @manydogz - went back to bed and managed another couple of hours sleep but have seen your reply and responded.
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Fingers cross little one will eat today x
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Come on Rita - try to eat just a little more.
    Is she drinking OK Debra? When I think Tweed isn't drinking enough, I mix a little yoghurt in some water. It does settle to the bottom, but it usually gets her drinking.
  8. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    How much garlic has she been getting Deb? Garlic can be toxic to dogs.

Also I haven't been checking Dogsey, but is there any background info for this? How long hasn't Rita been eating etc?
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Azz - I do not think little Rita has problems from garlic, and it is only an excess or raw garlic that can possibly cause problems.

Our little Rita is in heart failure, so removing garlic from her diet will not help her.
  10. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Hope to hear better news about little Rita soon.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Sending as much cyber love as I can muster for our little Rita. Come on bubbie - we are not ready to give up on you.

Debra - take care motek and look after yourself. xxx
  12. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Thinking of little Rita and hoping she soon feel better.
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Sending good thoughts for Rita x
  14. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Lots of well wishes sent to Rita,I hope she's ok
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Debra - how is our little Rita? Much love from us both xx
  16. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    Rita is still not eating, but she is drinking just fine. I found if I force a bit of food in her mouth she seems eager to take a few bites, so I've been doing that several times a day. In the past I've had to do that when her allergies got so bad she lost her sense of smell and all she had left to use was taste. Now her nose is not stopped up, she's not blowing bubbles and she's breathing normally. I put her back on benedryl last night just in case. She is sleeping a lot more and she's not taking her trips down the hallway with her tail held high. No snapping at the cats. No tail wag when I pet her. Sadly, I think she may be getting near the end. She's in no pain. I told her last night that it's ok for her to go whenever she's ready, but I'm really hoping she'll rally one more time. As to the garlic.....she gets a sprinkle of garlic powder on top of her food. I'm sure it's not enough to be toxic. Glad you mentioned it though. I didn't know it could be toxic.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am getting rather emotional now about our little girl. Debra please hold her and cuddle her and tell her that there is someone half way across the world who loves her.

Rita sweetheart - if it is your time, please do not be frightened because you will stay in out hearts.

Sorry Debra - I do not know what else to say. I wish I was able to call you though, (((hugs)))
  18. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    So sad. But thank goodness she is loved and found you to take care of her.
  19. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    @Malka I've been very emotional about her, too. I get a little comfort knowing that I have her now and her last days are filled with love and understanding not just from me but from those halfway around the world. I hope you can take some comfort from that, too. It would be prohibitively expensive for you to call me and I doubt either of us could afford it, but I appreciate the thought more than you know. Right now she is sleeping peacefully on her baby blanket after doing the long walk to go outside to do her business. I've put paper down for her in the living room, but she refuses to use it. She gave it a sniff (I put a piece of her poop on it), gave me a look like I was nuts and promptly started down the hallway on her way outside. When I see her headed that way I carry her out but I don't always see her on the move.
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Debra I did try to give you a contact address on the Dogsey direct thread but it was removed. See the thing is that I have an unlimited overseas telephone service for just under $8.50 a month - it is a very new thing through my internet provider and I have lots of friends from the Epilepsy List in the US and all over the world, and we can now chat for as long as we want.

Used to chat with some via Skype but telephone is more convenient for me and for them but hey ho, we cannot exchange contact details so have to abide by the rules.

I just feel like little Rita is mine as well, if you can understand that - she touched my heart somehow. And I just so much want to give her a gentle cuddle and tell her I love her. Because. Zeh mah yesh. That is what it is.
  21. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    I do understand your feelings and you're more than welcome to share Rita with me. My e-mail address must be somewhere either here or on Dogsey. I use the one from gmail.
    I tried to feed her this afternoon and she wouldn't have it. So, now I'm cooking chicken broth and carrots for her. I'll mash it all up and feed her with a large syringe that has a big opening where the needle should be. It's supposed to be for injecting spices into meat or chicken.