Saint Bernard 7 mos old Rescue

Discussion in 'St. Bernard' started by Mabakhrts, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Mabakhrts

Mabakhrts New Member

Name:
    Lorraine

Saint Bernard 7 mos old

Rescued a 7 mos old 90 pound male St. Bernard puppy. I have 2 other dogs. A German shepherd mix and small terrier mix. Our new pup gets overly excited and starts getting very rough with them. I know he wants to play but he takes it to an obnoxious level and starts chasing them. They are terrified of him now. I have a giant crate coming tomorrow. I can’t leave the house with him running free. I’m worried he will hurt one of them. He’s not neutered. I have a vet appt tomorrow for pre op. Will that help? Has anyone had this issue? We Adopted a Saint Bernard mix a year ago from the shelter. He was 8 and extremely laid back. He passed away from cancer. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    LMost and GsdSlave like this.
    Would it be possible to restrict your puppy's access to some rooms, to allow your older dogs to have some peace? He sounds a lovely, happy young chap, and he will settle when he is mentally mature, and fully settled into a routine. PLEASE do not have him neutered yet, he really does need his hormones to fully develop in his body and limbs - I would leave a breed of this stature till a minimum of 2 years, (if at all in a breed with a high risk of cancer).
    Welcome to the forum, I would love to see a photo of this giddy boy!
  4. Mabakhrts

Mabakhrts New Member

Name:
    Lorraine
    I have an open floor plan. I am surprised it is better to wait to neuter or refrain from it altogether. I spoke with the veterinary office that he was going to with the previous owner. They told me he needs muzzled because he became aggressive and tried biting everyone. Is that normal? I’ve rescued a dozen dogs in my day and never had any behavioral issues. He hasn’t tried biting us.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    LMost likes this.
    I agree with Carole in not getting him neutered until maturity. Neutering is unlikely to change his behaviour, and in some cases can make it worse. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...vior-changes-when-dogs-are-spayed-or-neutered

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/long-term-health-risks-benefits-associated-spay-neuter-michele-o-hara
    You need to step in and curb the behaviour, they soon learn they only get what they want (in this instance play) when they behave. Teach him the "leave it or ‘gentle command" and sit/down/stays.

When things start getting too rough/out of hand, remove him for a few minutes until he’s calmer, once calmed down, back to playing, if he gets to rough again, remove repeat as necessary. Teach him what is okay and what is not and breaks need to be taken so everyone can calm down a bit.
  6. Mabakhrts

Mabakhrts New Member

Name:
    Lorraine
    Thank you so much! I will def heed your advice!
  7. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hello,
    Most giant breeds are quite laid back but your dealing with a puppy. No matter the breed a puppy and the energy is still there, wait till you hit the zoomies, it will make you want to drink some days.

Working on simple redirection will help a bit, past that solid order and firm but fair direction with rules is what you need to start with the pup.

Neutering will solve zero of the issues and yes in many cases will lead to greater problems when done early with a giant breed.

Being 7 months and 90 pounds your looking most likely at 160 to 180 pound adult.
    They don't mentally mature till around 3 to 3.5 years, and physical maturity is are 2.5 to 3.5 years. They need testosterone to develope the muscle that will be needed to support there size and frame.

walking him for 30 to 40 mins in the morning and evening will help a lot with the extra energy. For the first year common rule is 5 mins per month old as a starting guideline, but according to the pup it may be more or less you have to judge his reaction after the walks, as to if he is still a ball of energy or falling out, he;s going to sleep a lot and wake up full of energy off and on all day.

I dealt with Saints from 11 years old till I was 21, and have had English Mastiffs the last 30 years, these dogs where breed for a purpose and will look for a job to do around the house and without one get bored.

His true temperament will start to show around 18 to 24 months, get ready for a fear stage between 6 to 9 months and another around 1 year.

Your last was a senior, this time around your going in at the funnest time.
    I have always gotten my pups at 8 to 10 weeks and started training the day I brought them home, your starting behind the curve this time so while yes it will test you the next 6 months or so and make you cuss, drink and give you grey hair, it is a labor of love with strict rules but please remember they are a sensitive breed don't be to harsh in the end you will have a dog that will define velcro dog and love, so yes it is hell for the next few months for years of great times.

I always joke if it aint at least 150 pounds it aint a real dog. Trust me giant breed are quite different that other dogs and as such are easier in some ways and harder in others.

I would ask what you social life is and how often do your dogs interact with the general public, this would help in how to train and needed socializing.

Any questions please ask, I deal a lot with giant breeds and help some friends with there pooches. I mainly deal with Siants, English Mastiffs, Great Danes and a could of meathead Dogue de Bordeaux, there all wonderful dogs but yes where hell on wheels as pups.

Have a great day.
  8. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    CaroleC likes this.
    Knowing zero about the prior owners and what they did training and other wise.
    It is something I would be mindful of. but the fact he has not tried to bite you or anyone around you leads me to think there was another factor leading to this issue.

Oh and vets and the cure all neutering they subscribe to has been a issue forever, there are actually few vets that are truthfull and tell you, you should wait when dealing with a giant breeds.