Salesman Repellent Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by LMost, Jan 18, 2017.

1. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost

Salesman Repellent

Had a salesman actually come on the porch <Just kinda dumb since normally the main door is open, this time was not.
    Salesman out of pic is looking through the door window asking the wife to please put up the dog, show he can talk to her about saving on the energy bill.
    She played it off like a champ though, told him he could see her wheelchair and no she could not put him up.
    Salesman asked it he would bite, her reply was only if you open the door.

I was hiding around the corner.
    [​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    LMost likes this.
    Nigredo won't bite, but he will viciously bark and make it impossible for anybody on the porch to even talk to me. They'd have to shout, and they aren't bothered to do that and they leave. Also, he's really nasty like he would bite, but I honestly don't think he would. He MIGHT but I wouldn't count on it.
  4. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    LMost likes this.
    This is the best. Just one great thing about giant breeds! My pup is a Boerboel, only 8-weeks-old, and has already started growling at strangers! I couldn't be more proud of him. I got him to be a guard dog, after all.
  5. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    My best advice would be start training now and make sure your have a solid recall and stay command.
    Boerboels are some of the most athletic of the mastiff breeds and can preform some shocking feats for there size.
  6. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    I've had Boerboels for about two decades. I'm very aware how to train the breed properly. lol I don't work on the "come" command until the dog is around 15-weeks-old. I then add "stay" at 16-weeks. Before that, pups are just too young to learn a solid recall and stay. He is only 8-weeks-old and is still learning how to respond to the clicker. I want a dog that growls at strangers. I want a dog that will attack an intruder or trespasser. These are guard dogs. Boerboels aren't pets. Nobody should be getting these dogs as pets.
  7. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I have a Shar-Pei who only barks when total strangers come to the gate. People she's not sure about, she'll come and find me, leaving my Schnauzer to watch them and do the barking. The pair of them are well organised!

If for example it's the man who services my boiler once a year, and I tell her it's OK for him to come onto the property and into the house, she'll stay close by me watching their movements closely until she's satisfied they pose no threat. The whole time they're on the property she won't utter a sound.

If however anyone tried to threaten or hurt me or my other dog the first thing she'd do is try to block them and if that didn't work she'd lunge and bite them. She's not my first Pei and this protective behaviour is typical of the breed. Yet at home and with people and dogs she knows well she's the most gentle dog anyone could wish for.

@Boerboel Having owned a Boerboel I can't agree with you that they can't be kept as pets. When I lived on a farm in South Africa many years ago my gentle giant Chico was my shadow who loved to be around the chickens, pigs, horses and the people who worked on the farm. When I went shopping he used to cram himself on the back seat of my Mini and rest his head on my shoulder whilst I drove. No one would come near the car once they saw him sitting there! A lovely dog!