Saluki thinking of getting one, need info. Questions

Discussion in 'Saluki' started by BriGoose, Jul 17, 2011.

1. BriGoose

BriGoose New Member

Name:
    Brie

Saluki thinking of getting one, need info.

Hi:001: ,
    Within the next year(depends which way my job situation goes) I am seriously wanting to get a Saluki, cant find much info on them from others who own them rather more the typical wiki type entries.

* Whether you have had dogs previously
    This would be my first 'own' dog but have grown up with dogs, currently I help look after my mums dog who is a rottweiler/ we think ridgeback after having a ridgeback previously. I have never known anybody who has one, although I understand their personalities can be similar to greyhounds which I have spent a little bit of time with.
    * Your circumstances - do you work etc?
    I am wanting to find out whether I will be working from home etc so will all depend on this situation. also in the process of moving from england to scotland so will also be waiting until settled in.
    * How much time you have for exercise
    At least two hours a day
    * Whether you have children, other pets etc
    No children yet. 1 cat although might end up with three depending on other peoples situations. Chickens that are shut away when dogs are off. Koi. The chickens and my cat are not scared by dogs, a little weary as my mothers dog has killed wild chickens and a guinea pig in the past and chases cats on occasion.
    * What characteristics you are looking for

* What breeds you have already looked at and your thoughts on them
    I had looked at greyhounds in the past but my health and housing changed so was not in the position.
    I really am set on getting a Saluki, unless for some extreme reason I could not.
    * Anything else you think might be relevant or important
    My main questions and thoughts where that the things I have read state that Saluki's are sighthounds etc so have a strong instinct to chase. Our family dog has a strong instinct to chase and has sadly killed in the past. We had a ridgeback when I was younger who never was bothered by prey. I have chicken that free range part of the day and a cat who is not aggressive, he is more a pushover and gets bullied. My concerns would be a dog worrying the chickens all the time and one that would be aggressive and potential threat towards my cat. However as it stands I live with a dog like that at the moment and we just make sure nobody is ever left in the same room together, I would plan on taking the puppy to training to minimize this. But understand it would still have an instinct to chase. I will have roughly an acre but many local walks near by and the beach not far. I am moving to a very remote area, although still in a village but very quiet with not many other dogs.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Salukis are stunning.

You mentioned you might end up with three cats? I think you need to check that would be safe for the cats as I'm sure I read that Salukis tend to chase small animals and have a very strong prey drive.

A Saluki would also need a secure place in which to enjoy some off lead running. You might not be able to let a Saluki off lead unless you have somewhere nearby that is totally safe and secure. Recall may well be a massive issue with this breed.

I would love to have a Saluki so I totally understand your attraction to this beautiful breed!

However, after reading up about it, I had to acknowledge that the potential recall issues would be a problem for me as I don't have any secure fields nearby.

Have you considered a rescue?

I will watch this thread with interest :)

I
  4. Cadi

Cadi New Member

Name:
    Cadi
    Admittedly I have been eyeing salukis too (especially due to their incredible tolerance for desert weather.) But yea, the problem with finding a large enough secured area to stretch their legs can be a problem.

While I don't own salukis I /have/ heard people claiming they are more energetic and neurotic than greyhounds - they don't have that couch to 40mph attitude. Just straight 40mph XD

However, considering that salukis were used to hunt in massive open fields, I am sure there has to be a way to train them properly to return or exercise them in open areas without worry - how else do hunters get back their dogs?
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
  6. BriGoose

BriGoose New Member

Name:
    Brie
    Thanks:grin: , have been on those sites, was waiting to contact when it gets nearer the time though. Have not been to discover dogs sounds fun!
  7. BriGoose

BriGoose New Member

Name:
    Brie
    Thanks for reply :grin:
    I have seen alot of dogs advertised that live in the same house with cats and get on well with them and also apprently have good recall(the ones that appear to not be so good with cats and other small animals are the ones used for working which makes sense) Whether the people are being honest or not, although when you went to visit would be made pretty clear.
    Like I said all my animals are rescues but I would buy just for temperament( i know this is not a 100% reliable) in order to make the others abit safer. If I didnt have cats/chickens would be looking at getting a fully grown rescue but thinking a puppy will be best.

I will be moving soon onto land at least 1.5 acres possibly more. Would not get a saluki until I had managed to secure fence as much of the area as possible. Im moving to the outer hebrides soon, very much in the middle of nowhere ,very quiet roads, secluded beaches etc helicopter ride to go to hospital etc , so would of thought once iv checked it out that offlead will be a possibility in certain areas.
  8. BriGoose

BriGoose New Member

Name:
    Brie
    Are you planning on moving to the desert? or is something going on with the UK that nobody else has heard about:lol:
    I remember watching a program ages ago of people taking their pet saluki's to the racing areas early in the morning to exercise them. I guess would be very long drive though unless you live near one.
    40mph might have to see if I can find anybody who has dog scootered with a saluki, I have a scooter and line that I bought but our dog hated it. I guess that would slightly solve the offlead running question.
    I dont know much at all about Saluki's other than what I have read. But going my other dogs I have known/lived with the ridgeback i was brought up with we were told would have a strong instinct to hunt, the history of them being used to capture lions etc she had zilch hunting instinct. A terrier that we had, again told that she would try to kill any small furries, she was found one day sleeping in the rabbit enclosure with a mum and babies :shock: . Then our rottyx we were not told anything, and he has very strong instinct and aggressive even though he was professionally trained and non of the others were. Maybe I will be lucky and get another back to front pooch:lol:

I think I may contact a desert breeder, as Im also wondering about them running alongside horses, but i guess if recall is a problem would mean continuously dismounting. Might just move to the desert instead, get myself an arabian horse and a saluki :grin: