Saluki x (longdog) General Chat

Discussion in 'Saluki' started by HiHoSilver, Mar 6, 2011.

1. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie

Saluki x (longdog)

Such fun,specially the picking up after them![​IMG][/IMG]
    My own contribution to masochism..
    He's the black dot in the far distance in this one..[​IMG][/IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Beautiful....... the staffy in the first photo is smiling, I swear :049:

[​IMG]
  4. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Smiling she is but a staffie she's not - she's Neopolitan mastiff x Rottweiller.Here she is with her staffie x buddy[​IMG][/IMG]
    But whatever she is,she's daft as a brush![​IMG][/IMG]Here curled up with the other staff x and the even dafter dobermann..
    These are old shots taken while we waited for the house to be renovated and we were living in two mobile homes.The missus loves the dogs and doesn't mind having them in the house but having them all in a 40' mobile was too much for her so we had two_One for her and one for me and the dogs.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011
  5. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Stunning dog there.
  6. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    If you didn't know the type you'd think that the look on his face was an 'uhoh what have I done now' expression but those who've had young longdogs,(he's 10 months old) particularly saluki crosses know better.He's REALLY thinking 'darn it,they're watching me so the raid on the fridge has to go on the back burner for now' Little nogoodnik - he's fat as a pig!
  7. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Its the look both of mine have when they've done something naughty :roll: you can always tell whose done what when something naughty has happened in my flat, as whoever done it always looks really sheepish, places that face, with a slow wagging tail, then fless the scene of the crime, tbh Diesel (my 3/4 Grey, 1/4 GSd) is better at them faces then Honey, but they are dogs that have such great expressions, and their long faces where certain looks very well lol.
  8. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Must admit (sorry to hijack) this is one of my fav photos of Diesel, as I think it shows how expressionate they can be, to me in this photo, his eyes seem to be talking.

[​IMG]
  9. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Hi jack away,he's lovely,and I think you're right,he has very expressive eyes.I was hoping for some pics of other longdogs of this type.
  10. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    Gorgeous pics of all of them. I'm a sucker for anything black and tan
  11. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    I've just got one thing to say.....YUMMY!!!:007: :007: :007: And Chaz......you hijack away my love......there are never enough pics of your beautiful doggies!!:mrgreen:
  12. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Thank you, theres always plenty of my Saluki cross everywhere lol, have to say though, I saw a dog yesterday who I'm sure, certain that the dogs trust had its mix wrong, it was black and tan, and I asked if she was a Saluki cross, everything about her screamed it, I was told no, she was a pharoah hound, Greyhound cross, probally with some whippet :?, genetics wise I'm thinking that a black and tan couldn't be that, I mean both parents would have to carry black and tan for starters, and I don't think any of them breeds do :? :?

I think there are lol, I've had to put my camera in retirement for a while to give it a break :lol: :lol:
  13. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Heres a old, not so good photo of Honey my Saluki Greyhound (but more Grey the Saluki) mix, her eyes seem to be begging for something don't they lol.

[​IMG]
    SDC12832 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr
  14. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Saluki eyes though,no mistaking them.You're right about the black and tan.Salukis are the only sighthound that carry that colour although it's dominant so only one parent needs to have the gene.
    Animal shelters rarely have anyone who is good at breed id.I've seen many a dog wrongly described.Vets are often useless at it too.It takes a lot of study of purebred dog breed standards to get good at it.It's always possible to get it wrong even then.Phenotype and genotype often don't match!
    I got into an argument with a Dogs Trust vet once about a dog he said was a pure bred Saluki.Oh no it's not said I (we were 30 yards away from the dog at the time)How can you tell from this distance,he asked,sneering.Easy,I told him smiling brightly,Salukis are never solid black,not in Europe anyway.Up close I could see why he had come to his conclusion,ears and tail well feathered,pin bones clearly visible but the ears were rosed and a little too short.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2011
  15. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Are Saluki genetics different to other breeds then? Coz I know other dogs the black and tan gene is ressecive, so I just assumed that it was the same for them?

Have to say on seeing this dog and being told that she was more pharoah hound I had to wonder whether the owners had ever seen one, Diesel looks more pharoah hound ;-) I also wondered why Saluki was never even mentioned, but there you go.
  16. suecurrie

suecurrie New Member

Name:
    Sue
    I know Jasmine isn't pure Saluki as I think she is too fluffy - what do you think she is crossed with? She came from Dogs Trust nearly three years ago and had been found running wild so no history.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She has all the characteristics of a Saluki but extremely frightened of people (including children) rather than aloof. Be interested to know what you think.
  17. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    All I think is that she is gorgeous :grin:
    Oh I doooo love hounds :049:
  18. suecurrie

suecurrie New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Thanks. She is gorgeous and I love her to bits and am so lucky to have her. She really makes me laugh:grin:
  19. suecurrie

suecurrie New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Jen - I posted a video of Jasmine last week in my Mum's garden in the video section. Just a quick one as it was my first youtube video. Thought you may be interested:grin:
  20. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    Oooo thanks, I'm off for a peek :grin:
  21. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    :grin: Fabulous, I love seeing all those legs all going at once. She really is beautiful :049: