Saluki's - has anyone experience of one? Questions

Discussion in 'Saluki' started by EmmiS, Dec 5, 2011.

1. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise

Saluki's - has anyone experience of one?

Hi :)

I was just wondering if anyone on here has one/experience of one. When i was very very young my grandmother used to have one, but can't really remember too much about her. I think they are a stunning breed, and would love one of my own in the non too distant future.

Just wondering how people have found them to be as companions, how suitable they are with other dogs (and indeed larger livestock?) and if they are a more playful/affectionate breed, and how much they enjoy things such as Agility, competitive obedience etc.

Lots of questions, just trying to get a first hand feel for the breed!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    Hello Emma, I used to have a Saluki cross, she passed away this time last year :-(
    She was a dear, affectionate, loyal friend. She was quiet and well behaved and good mannered. She loved all other dogs, humans and children. She hated cats! The closest she ever came to larger livestock was on lead when she would regard them with suspicion and interest!
    I wouldn't have called Mo playful, that was too much like hard work, she would rather curl up and sleep:lol:
  4. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    I've never had one, but do think Salukis are beautiful :)

Anyway, just giving this post a 'bump' in the hope that you'll get more answers; I'll read them with interest :)
  5. susie fischer

susie fischer New Member

Name:
    Maggie
    I have a rescue saluki bitch who is around 22 months old.
    I also have a whippet/saluki/collie lurcher coming up 15 years. Salukis are generally quiet, aloof (but very loving), quite amenable to training providing they are asked to do things they like! My bitch had been used for coursing prior to me owning her but has adapted very well to living as a member of a multi dog/cat household. She was housetrained and cat friendly within 48 hours. Can easily be trained to accept and or ignore large livestock but have an inherent desire to chase and kill small furries (rabbits, hares etc) They have little recall once they have spotted something to chase and any saluki or sighthound owner will tell you that you have to get used to waiting around for them. They are sensitive and hate being shouted at, play extremely roughly ( mine drags my JRT round by the scruff and has my labrador crying out for mercy most days). They have immense stamina and need at the very least 5 miles off lead exercise a day. Their beauty makes up for their shortfalls and they are certainly addictive. My girlie hates the rain and cold weather; adores heat, sand and comfort. Fabulous to live with, can be very protective and are average house dogs in terms of barking. Mine prefers to leave that sort of tedious task to the other dogs in the house. For me they are one of the best sighthounds to have (although I love lurchers and borzois and wouldn't say no to a azawakh). They are intelligent, comical and great fun to have around. If you have the chance of one, go for it - you won't be disappointed!
  6. lynnzer

lynnzer New Member

Name:
    lynn
    Hi

I have a saluki cross greyhound and he is a darling!! However he does believe he is royalty!! He also hates the cold and rain, needs his jacket on to go out even just for the toilet!! He is a sun worshipper following it around the garden in the summer, but that is because they bred for the desert so makes sense really. He is a gentle giant and loves nothing better than a comfy warm bed as he is 8 now and is living it up. When he was young he loved to run and he often caught a few bunnies for the pot, a sight hound is true enough he will scour the land as far as the eye can see looking for something to chase, they need space to run, because run they can very elegant and gracefully through the air making their speed look effortless! Once running though they are hard to recall as they get far quite fast and there is no chance of them hearing you. Our's won't leave our side when out now he has a quick sprint then can't be bothered anymore but is very happy with that.

A wonderful breed who gets on well with other dogs and our cat and ferrets, he is wary of livestock which is important, but will give chase to rabbits, hares even deer so awareness of your surroundings would be a bonus. I'm not sure if they are suitable for agility as they have long legs and stand on their toes for speed and the dog walks and A-frames could pose a problem but they can jump very high!! As for obedience they are easy to train however asking them to sit on anything but a comfy dog bed would prove interesting as they believe they are better than that!!

Hope this gives you an insight to this soft laid back breed.

Lynnzer
  7. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor
    I have a saluki lurcher and you could be talking about her from your description :lol:
  8. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson
    I got new next door neighbour's yesterday, we have a shared garden out the back so I went round to say hello and ask them to make sure they keep the gate shut so the dogs don't do a bunk and it turns out they have a Saluki x GSD.
    Lovely looking thing, Saluki face and ears. Seems quite clever as well.