Samoyed behaviour Behaviour

Discussion in 'Samoyed' started by AnniK, Jan 20, 2015.

1. AnniK

AnniK New Member

Name:
    Anni

Samoyed behaviour

Hi !
    I´m looking for tips from experienced sammy owners/breeders. We have a male samoyed, now 5 years old. At the moment we are still living in a house with a big garden with a fence , and our sammy can be held unleashed. In a couple of months however, we are moving to the city, and we do not want to give our dog up. The problem is that even now that he still has his freedom, he is very high maintenance at times, he´s anxious, he whines, is very impatient and barks easily. He never has to be alone for long periods of time, and still he can be very high maintenance. He gets his daily walks, meets other dogs, we have two cats that are his best friends, and he´s free to pretty much come and go as he pleases. Not many dogs have living conditions as good as he does. He should be living a charmed life at the moment, yet he still isn´t content, and we are extremely worried how things will turn out when we move.
    Any suggestions, pointers,anything ?? Thank you in advance to anyone who tries to help:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    CaroleC likes this.
  4. AnniK

AnniK New Member

Name:
    Anni

Hi !
    Actually, we´ve tried that,too...with not much luck I´m sorry to say. We`ve left all kinds of "surprise packages" for our dog to go through while he´s on his own, and he doesn´t always even bother to give them a second look...next step is the barkstop collar i guess...But we´ll keep on trying :)
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    Hi Anni! I like Azz's suggestions - there are lots of mental stimulation toys appearing on the market these days. Also, searching is a brilliant mental exercise for dogs, my dogs love to be helpful and find 'lost' items. They, (whoever 'they' may be), say that 10 minutes of searching is equivalent to 30 minutes of road exercise.
    Start by teaching a retrieve, (another energy burning exercise), then start hiding toys or heavily (human) scented articles, at first in the house, then out of doors. Really show that you are pleased when they are found - a game with the toy, or swap the smelly sock for a really tasty treat.
    Have you thought about joining a dog training club? There is Obedience, and also Agility. Heelwork to Music can also be great fun - in basic classes it's moving in time to music, and teaching your dog to do lots of tricks.
    It is surprising how many green spaces you can find even in a city, so really check out the area you are moving to. Talk to other dog walkers, and find out where you can let your dog have a play - even if it has to be on a long line.
    Good Luck.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    Sounds like he needs more stimulation, how long do you walk him for and does he run free on walks to burn off excess energy,is it possible to take up some kind of sport with him, which would give mental as well as physical exercise, the constant barking attention seeking could be through boredom filling a kong with some treats /peanut butter ect might keep him occupied for a while and giving him a large bone or antler to chew on.
    Does you new house have a fenced garden, if not and hes not going to be allowed the freedom he has now I would start by gradually getting him used to only going out at certain times.
  7. AnniK

AnniK New Member

Name:
    Anni
    Hi !
    We actually attented puppy trainig with our dog when we got him. Our dog seems to be the only dog on this planet who REALLY isn´t at all interested in retrieving a thrown ball, stick etc. Absolutely no interest at all.
    Let me give you an example of his behaviour, and this has been the case from day one : if for some reason he needs to be put in his outdoor "cage" ( it´s quite big, approx.5 x 8 meters) for a couple of minutes, in case of let´s say someone pops by for a chat or something. We are outside and he can still see us, but you would not believe the barking and whining ... the same thing happens if you put him on his leash on our yard when something needs to be done without him "helping" us. I know samoyeds are very people oriented dogs, but this is too much even for them...he doesn´t seem frustrated, he doesn´t break or chew on things, he´s 0% unpredictable or hostile. He just can´t seem to be able to control his people needy-personality...

We´ll just have to keep on trying to find a solution that works...
  8. AnniK

AnniK New Member

Name:
    Anni

Hi !
    The only time our dog IS on a leash is on his walks, for the rest of the day he can run,jump,crawl or do whatever he wants pretty much. I´m home during the day studying on-line, and he´s hardly ever alone. Our neighbors have dogs he can meet and greet on a daily basis. My friend has two dogs and when she brings them over to play, our dog looses interest in a matter of minutes. We´ve tried Kongs, all types of goodie boxes he can examine while on his own,left him bones and so on, but the funny thing is that he takes them on when we come home...
    Unfortunately we are not moving to a house but propably to an apartment building, and this isn´t helping our case at all...I know that samoyeds can do well in apartments as well, our dogs brother is living in one with no problems,but to be frank , he was already a much calmer "character" as a puppy...

We just have to keep on trying to find a solution for this "challenge"
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Bark collars only mask the problem and do not address the underlying cause, it would be worth contacting a reputable behaviourist to assess his behaviour and give you advice on how deal with his problems