SBTs/ Is this normal conformation for a 5/6 month old. Questions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Shona, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona

SBTs/ Is this normal conformation for a 5/6 month old.

Hi, can anyone tell me if this looks normal for a SBT bitch pup. Her hips seem to look very often like a dog that is skidding to a halt, she seems very wide and bow legged and her front feet seem to face out, she can also look pretty together, but from what I have seen more often than not she looks all wrong,
    The background of this young girl (lucy) is she has been rehomed to my freind around 3 weeks ago, underweight, prior to that she had little or no exercise, caged most of the day and night, he knows the family who owned her but the girl (19 years old) who bought her as a 7 week old pup as she had moved into her own house lost intrest after about 1 week!!. from what we know the dog was only taken out for the loo after that and put back into the cage,
    her mother found out and removed the dog ( thank god)
    think the pup had been fed bakers puppy complete, but was underweight, she is very small.
    she has not been hit and seems happy to meet everyone, even the rottys and has shown no aggression what so ever, fab personality so far,
    she will not have had any real social skills put into her untill she was rehomed,

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kath

Kath Sadly Missed

If she has spent most of her time in a cage then she will not have been able to build up any muscle - it may feel quite firm but it is virtually unused, rather like we would be if we spent a long while in bed, I would expect a gradual improvement and hope that everything will come right. |You will have to give it time to build up, Gentle exercise only and no wild dashing around until things improve, but couldn't you cheerfully imprison her previous owner in a cage for several months - I wonder what her muscles would be like then. All the best with your little girl - lots of love, patience and good food and she'll be OK. Kath
  4. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    thanks Kath, posting more photos to give people a better idea, I thought she may have spent her time jumping up trying to get noticed, and may have done some damage to her joints, ....... I know nothing about staffs but I am a bit concerned, from what I have heard her mother gave her hell and still is she is livid about the whole situation, rightly so I would be too,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2006
  5. teenytiny

teenytiny New Member

Name:
    *sammy*
    I am sorry to say that the back legs, hips and bottom look nothing like a SBT to me.

A SBT back legs and hips lie flush with the body, and the back legs go straight down, as apposed to being bowed outwards.

I dont have a clue why this dogs legs would be like this, but it would be a very good idea to have them looked at, and maybe x-rayed.

As you can see, sorry this is not the best of pictures, but the back legs go straight down, rather than bowing outwards.
    [​IMG]
  6. Sara1210

Sara1210 New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Her legs look just like chances legs :cry:

The vet has told me he has cow hock, which might righten itself in time as he grows, but it will also make him prone to dislocated hips, knees etc and arthritus. Chance is now 11 weeks old, the vet told me this at 6 weeks, when he went back for his second injection at 10 weeks, me and the vet both agreed they are slightly better, but still along way from "normal". I can honestly say it doesnt effect him at all, try not to worry about it, ill try to post a pic of chance at the same angles later for you, to put your mind at rest :lol:
  7. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    You have to remember that they are just puppies, they can go through the most horrendous growing sessions and many a puppy that has been chosen for show has horrified the owner when they go through these stages. I wouldn't pass judgement on any of them until they are fit and fully grown. Then you can decide whether there is anything wrong.
    I've not heard of cow hocks causing all the problems you have said as it is only a turning in of the hocks but at 11 weeks he will be all over the place!
    Let them develop naturally just make sure they have proper exercise and a good diet and when they are 18mths old they will probably look completely different.
    If it isnt causing any pain or suffering in the dog then leave it be.
    Becky
  8. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    thanks guys, I think the new owner may take little lucy to the vet after the holidays to have a quick check up, the only SBT I have seen going through her growth stages is Gabby, one that has came to the club since she was 9 weeks old and she always just seemed so together,
    I also wondered if as she is still a bit tucked up /in from being under wieght if that made the legs look worse, if she were fuller looking she may not look so bad?? any thoughts?
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2006
  9. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    The bowed out knees look typical of luxating patella, a Vet will tell you if they can feel evidence of this. Otherwise unless she seems impaired by how she looks, I wouldnt be too concerned, proper care will do wonders.
    Dawn.