Seriously thinking about buying a PUG! General Chat

Discussion in 'Pug' started by jaymacv, Feb 15, 2011.

1. jaymacv

jaymacv New Member

Name:
    Jay

Seriously thinking about buying a PUG!

Yeah. I just love pugs, and i think they would fit in our household pretty well, too.
    I have five kids, two daughters and three sons. My eldest son is away at university and comes home only on the odd weekend. My youngest son is two in May.
    I live in a three bedroom semi detached house in a town.
    So not much space.
    As a family we have considered rottweilers greyhounds lurchers brittanys basenjis and even Ibizan hounds. However a small dog that wouldnt take up to much room would be ideal. Thats how we came to pugs. Not only that but the baby has a toy pug which he loves and calls it "mug". Lol.
    Anyway if there is any pug owners out there could you give me info on when you bought your pug?
    It seems that the average price for a well bred pug is 1000 pounds. We have found a good breeder and are considering contacting them. Also did it take you a year to housetrain your pug?
    Its a real shame, we all hoped a rescue dog would be our dog but all have been found to be unsuitable.
    Oh and any info would be appreciated. We have prob looked at every pug site ever made but you can never know too much (did you know the name pug is meant to mean fist, because their face is supposed to look like a fist?)

Jay.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    hi i dont own a pug, but they are on my wishlist :grin: i have a list of breeders that i like, just in case the time for a pug puppy comes about. but im generally interested in the breed.

all i would say is that your 2 year old needs to learn respect for the dog, toy dogs can be delicate (even though pugs are a more robust toy breed) and you would have to watch there was no poking in the face etc as the eyes can be prone to accidents.

also pugs need health tests and id only ever buy from a breeder who health tests nowadays. especially with how popular pugs have become, not all breeders are ethical. i think they get tested for PRA, and glucoma. they also need to be xrayed for herbertivrae (not spelt right i know but its where the spine fuses i think.)

there are people on here who know a lot more. jessica is one i can think of.

hopefully someone else will be over shortly to tell you more. good luck with your search :grin:
  4. jaymacv

jaymacv New Member

Name:
    Jay
    Thanks. Ill remember that. And long live pugs!

Jay.
  5. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    Hi there, I don't have a pug either, but I looked after one for the weekend a few months ago and was in shock! He was about a year old and still not housetrained, he snored like a pig and he was very, very energetic, which I wasn't expecting he was used to sitting on the furniture at his own home and I don't allow that, but everytime I turned around, he was on the couch!! He was like a mini tornado :grin:
    After saying all that, I would take him on like a shot, he was funny and playful and a real character.
    Good luck in your search :)
  6. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    I'm a fan of Pugs too - they are such cuties.:grin:

I haven't owned one, but have heard about them taking longer to house-train, but TBH, they say that about Frenchies and Lola was no problem to toilet train.

Jessica could certainly tell you all about them!! Be worth asking for her advice for sure!:002:
  7. jaymacv

jaymacv New Member

Name:
    Jay
    Thanks everyone!!! Just seen a picture of Lola - what a cutie!

Jay.
  8. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I house trained my friends pug puppy as she worked full time and it didn't take any longer than any other pup. She also wanted her litter tray trained as she lives in a flat on the third floor. The only problem I found was she was so close to the ground you couldn't always tell when she was about to squat. She was a very quick learner and soon learnt to go outside when the opportunity arose and use the litter tray at all other times. I'm completely smitten by her and want one of my own 8)
  9. Ksal

Ksal New Member

Name:
    Katy
    Hi Jay-I have a Pug callled Jack. They are great little dogs and usually fit well into a busy family home. Jack did take longer than my previous dog to house train, but nothing that patience and encouragement won't solve.

Only thing I have found I have to be careful of is that Jack doesn't overheat in the summer when it's hot (ok so that's fairly rare in the UK!) Fortunately Jack likes water so is happy to go in a shallow pond at our local park to cool off, although I would still be careful not to walk him in the full heat of the day.

Be prepared for a bundle full of energy that requests a lot of attention! Jack would play fetch with his ball all day long if I let him! He his truly hilarious though, he makes me laugh all day long!

This made me smile as it's so true!
  10. jaymacv

jaymacv New Member

Name:
    Jay
    Thanks so much, I love PUGS and would really like one! SOmetime in the future? Maybe?
    The only problem is the 1k puppies... with five kids, one at uni and all, there is a budget...:blush:
    Ill save up my pennies then and remind myself not to get those bargain 3 for 2 packets of oreos next time im shopping... lol! :lol:
  11. Ksal

Ksal New Member

Name:
    Katy
    I agree that it does seem expensive, however it is worth remembering that a dog, whatever breed, will cost far more than this over it's lifetime. I dread to think what I must have spent already!!! Worth every penny though!:grin:
  12. jaymacv

jaymacv New Member

Name:
    Jay
    Heehee. How ironic.
    Just after writing this booked tickets for my daughter to go see Milton Jones.... :lol:
    My willpower is pathetic! lol