Shampoo for Westies Grooming

Discussion in 'West Highland White Terrier' started by Woodstock, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Woodstock

Woodstock New Member

Name:
    Vicky

Shampoo for Westies

Hi there,
    We are currently fostering a lovely little westie and i was just wondering if there are any shampoos you recommend as i believe westies suffer from very sensitive skin? We use a bog standard anti flea etc one on our other terriers but don't want to upset this guy's skin - he has been through quite enough as it is!
    Any recs appreciated :) Thanks in advance
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    Hi, I know how westie's can suffer with bad skin, and my current gsd has a terrible skin problem, so I've used them all! Last week my vet introduced me to Epi-soothe which is oatmeal based, and apparently anything oaty is just fantastic for skin, not only for dogs, but humans as well!

I used it for the first time this morning, and I can honestly say, I have never seen such a silky, frothy, skin soothing shampoo on my life and my dog's fur looks absolutely fantastic now that he's all dried off!!! Get anything oatmeal based, or if you can, splash out with the vet and get a bottle of this Epi-soothe, I can't rate it enough!!!

From somebody who's used every single skin calming shampoo on the market, including Malaseb, Sebomild, tea tree, medicated, etc. etc. this one is just the best!
  4. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Woodstock :) I would try to avoid washing the body with shampoo as much as you can just rinse with warm water, the beard and feathering can be washed with shampoo (as I do with my Minis and other terriers ).

If you stretch some old stockings or tights over a bristle brush then brush the body most dust and dirt will brush out and the dog will look quite clean :) .
  5. SR

SR New Member

Name:
    Sharon
    Epi-soothe is an excellant shampoo,
    my dogs don't have bother with their skin but i still use
    this & wouldn't consider anything else,
    well worth the money & it lasts a while,
    it's brilliant.
  6. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Quistel is brilliant for an sensitive skins and especially recommended for Westies. they also have a grooming spray which can be used in between.
  7. henry06

henry06 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    hi

i have a westie and he had a bout of biting his fur but we have a mixture of shampoos now from the vets. They last for ages but they do make the coat soft, white and dandruff free as well as treating the skin and not causing itching or irritations. We use all at the same time!!! Malaseb, Epi soothe, Epiderm and another one which i will go and check. We also have a spray which is for daily use to keep the coat shiny and nurished which is in a green bottle but ive left it at my mums as she had him at the weekend for me.

We have also been using viacutan capsules which are fish oils which is good for the skin and coat. We have been to the vets tonight and we have had a change which is a chocolate type treat for the cot to use instead of the capsules which Henry loved they are new and are called boracutin.

When we used normal shampoo from the pet shop we found this flaired his skin so best jut check with vet we have used these shampoos etc... now for nearly 2 years and touch wood no skin probs

Hope this helps
  8. henry06

henry06 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    Its just come to me sitting here the spray is derm-allay. You just spray it over the coat no need to bathe and it helps the skin and coat so dont need to over bathe.

Sarah x