She didn’t want her nails trimmed General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by who owns who, Sep 16, 2019.

1. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc

She didn’t want her nails trimmed

I took my two Akitas to a low cost mobile clinic today to get flea and tick medicine, as it was much cheaper than at my regular vets, and while I was there I figured I’d see if they could trim her nails, which cost the same as at regular vets.

Well she’s a pretty wiggly girl, very hard to get her to stay still to be brushed, so I knew they might not be successful. Last time I took her to my regular vets they didn’t trim her nails very much. Now I know why.

I told them from the start they might not be able to do it. Part of it might be because she wasn’t familiar with them, she just wouldn’t stay still.. they tried a towel, to no avail, then 3 of them tried holding her, and she peed on their towel. They didn’t give up and 4 of them got involved, which in hindsight was just a bad idea, as Katie Mae was obviously stressed out. Well she really pee’d this time, ALL over one of the techs, on her scrubs, and her face... I felt so bad, even though it was a little funny too.

I wonder how they do it at my regular vets. I’ll have to take her there next week and have them do it, but ask them to do them shorter than they did last time, because they were still way too long. I’ll give it a week before trying so hopefully she will forget this ordeal. Luckily Bandit just wears his down walking, they’ve never needed to be trimmed. Was still worth it for the cheaper medication though.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Poor Katie Mae, being "attacked" by four people trying to hold her down - I am sure the tech had had worse things than pee over her though [memories of Pereg emptying her anal glands all over one of my feet comes to mind - pee all over me was a regular occurrence]. I know she is smaller than Bandit but if his nails wear down by walking and hers do not she must be a very dainty walker!

Tikki only needs her front nails tipped as she spends so much time standing up outside to see what is going on so the nails on her hind legs wear down, and Ram always does her nails every three months when he comes for her Parkworm shot and whatever is due at the time. I think he is due Thursday next week, which will delight Tikki as she adores him.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Ah ! The dreaded nail clipping, mine love being groomed but run and hide when they see the nail clippers. It was a two man job here, I would hold the titbits, while hubby did the cutting.

I’ve never used one but lots of people use the dremel tool, there is lots of videos on youtube on introducing dogs to them.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    There is always one show off to spoil the party.
    My two are excellent - although they don't actually love having their nails trimmed, they don't need restraining, and accept it as a regular thing. I suppose bribery is involved as they know they will get a chewy reward when it is over. I train for nail and tooth care right from the start. Initially perhaps just a light scrape with the nail clippers, or a tooth brush or scaler, to build confidence. I prefer to do little and often, perhaps monthly, rather than have thick nails to cut through.
    Not very practical for large breeds, but some groomers bag smaller dogs for nail cutting - strong bags with leg holes of course - and hook the handles to a beam. I have seen this on video, but it looks to be kinder than the stress of wrestling with them.
  6. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Nigredo is scared of trimmers due to being cut into badly at a Petco when he was young. Still, he allows me to cut them. Doesn't need two people or restraint.

Cannot do Malone. Tried and cut into two quicks because he wasn't having it at all. Going to see if they can dremel his nails for him.
  7. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I actually have a dremel nail tool that I should try and get Katie Mae used too. I’ll try and find some videos on YouTube. At least she’s not a drama queen and fake fainting...