Sheepdog trial for Beardies General Chat

Discussion in 'Bearded Collie' started by Moobli, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty

Sheepdog trial for Beardies

The other shepherd on the estate is holding a sheepdog trial tomorrow specifically for Beardies, so I am looking forward to the differences in working between them and the collies.

I will have to charge my camera up for all your beardie fans :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    ooh that's interesting and has reminded me that I wanted to see if you knew much about them...I read the other day that they make really good hill dogs. Meant to see whether your OH has ever considered one, especially as I know you've been struggling a bit recently to find a really good dog for that purpose.
  4. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    Ive seen some cracking working beardies, have to admit they havnt looked like the show dogs, and some really nice border/beardie crosses.Would love to see this trial:grin:
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Hubby has had a couple of working beardies over the years, as well as a huntaway - and even though he liked them, they don't *do* it for him like a good working collie.

He is thrilled with the way the three pups we kept back from the last litter are doing, and I am just about to put some pics up of them.
  6. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    It is a shame you aren't a bit nearer Rookie, as it would be lovely to meet you, and this trial is being held opposite my house :grin:
  7. Lorna

Lorna New Member

Name:
    Lorna
    Awwww sounds lovely look forward to the pics!!!!
  8. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Beardies are really driving dogs, but they can obviously as well. I used to have beardies from show lines, but mine were only a couple of generations from the working beardies.

A friend of mine does some hobby sheep work with her show bred beardies & they absolutely love it.

A retired shepherd(no longer with us sadly)used to have a beardie that he used to take sheep to market(pre WWI)& also to drive the sheep though the sheep dip with when all the border collies failed.
  9. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Oops it is tomorrow, not today ... so you will have to wait a wee while longer for the pics ;-)
  10. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

shame i have plans, that sounds like fun. i love beardies and hardly ever see working ones
  11. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Can't wait to see pics.
  12. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    For those who cannot wait

Herding Beardies little something to keep you going Some brill photos of Beardies & some more unusual breeds herding !
  13. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks for the link Dyane - interestingly they are mainly show beardies. Nice to see owners still interested in retaining their working capabilities to some degree.

I wonder whether they will be mainly working or show beardies tomorrow. We will wait to see.
  14. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    I should think they'll be working Beardies:grin: Looking forward to hearing about it.

Wonder if you might do a bit of detective work for me? Can you PM me your email so I can send you an attachment pretty please;-)
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    No worries - PM sent.
  16. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie
    :grin: Great cant wait for pics, My show boy beardies brother works sheep in Canada and my girl is off the Sallen lines, the difference in her speed to his is incredible, her sister works at a farm too....From all the farmers I know who work there Beardies they are brill :grin:
  17. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Whereabouts in Scotland are you? You could always come and watch :grin:
  18. alady??

alady?? New Member

Name:
    Lanie
    :grin: Ayrshire but its our last British Ute show tomorrow in Livingston so I cant make it :cry: , would love to have gone tho, my Flynn herds the big dogs for me hahhaa, but she let one go last night and I had to run around the wood road with ma slippers on :shock:

Hope you have a great day..
  19. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks - I will try and get some decent piccies.
  20. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Dr Lynne Sharpe(Nee Evans) has gone back to the working lines that her first dogs came from & has established a lovely line of 0% COI dogs. I met her over 40 years ago when I was showing my first Beardie & have loved her Brambledales ever since, she made a model of my Champion Bitch, well before she was made up & gave it to me after she was made up & told me she always knew she would get made up, because of her superb movement !
  21. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    My mum has a Brambledale - Megan, the second Brambledale she has had. Wonderful dogs, fantastic temprements, healthy and a lot bigger than the show dogs. Can't wait to see the pics.

Sarah